[Ieee_vis_open_positions] Summer 2023 Tableau Research Interns

Matthew Brehmer mbrehmer at tableau.com
Fri Aug 12 00:39:06 CEST 2022

   -

   *Application link here
   <https://salesforce.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/External_Career_Site/job/California---Palo-Alto/XMLNAME-2023-Research-Intern---Salesforce-Research-Tableau-Research_JR158577-2/apply?source=LinkedIn_Jobs>*

   About Futureforce University Recruiting

   Our Futureforce University Recruiting program is dedicated to
   attracting, retaining and cultivating talent. Our interns and new graduates
   work on real projects that affect how our business runs, giving them the
   opportunity to make a tangible impact on the future of our company. With
   offices all over the world, our recruits have the chance to collaborate and
   connect with fellow employees on a global scale. We offer job shadowing,
   mentorship programs, talent development courses, and much more.

   Job Details

   ***By applying to this job posting you will be considered for both
   Salesforce Research and Tableau Research***

   This internship is a minimum of 12 weeks.

   *Tableau Research:*

   Tableau is on a mission to help people see and understand data.  Tableau
   Research is a small team that uses academic and industry research
   methodologies to foster innovation.  Research topics include visual
   analytics, data visualization, data preparation, human computer
   interaction, statistics, machine learning, natural language processing,
   search, as well as presentation and collaboration with data.

   A research internship typically consists of a project that is mutually
   discussed and agreed upon between the intern and their mentor. The goal of
   the project is to help further the intern’s research career and inspire
   Tableau & Salesforce with new ideas for future product roadmaps.  A
   research internship also provides excellent opportunities for exploring
   industry research, gain insights into product development, and publishing
   work at top academic conferences.

   What you’ll be doing…

   As a research intern you will work closely with a mentor who is a member
   of Tableau Research. You will typically meet daily with your mentor to
   coordinate, plan, and help set expectations. You will be asked to
   present and provide updates a few times at our team meetings. Research
   typically involves designing and/or prototyping, along with possible user
   studies. You will be expected to create a final presentation and write-up
   of the project. Often, the project evolves into co-authoring an academic
   paper that could extend beyond the internship period.

   Who you are…
   -

      Passionate about research. You are a PhD student in good academic
      standing with at least a couple years of research and publishing
experience
      at high-quality conference and journal venues. In the past, interns have
      published at venues such as VIS, EuroVis, TVCG, CHI, CSCW, UIST,
IUI, DIS,
      KDD, SIGMOD for example. Having previous internship experience is a plus,
      but not a requirement.
      -

      Aligned with our mission. Your research passion aligns with Tableau’s
      mission to help people see and understand data.
      -

      An effective communicator. You have clear written and oral
      communication skills.
      -

      Highly technical. If your project involves prototyping, you have
      strong technical skills to prototype in a language of your choice, e.g.,
      D3/JavaScript, Python, R, C++, C#, Java, Go. If your project is
      study-focused, you have strong experience with setting up user studies,
      collecting, analyzing, and distilling qualitative and
quantitative data. If
      your project is oriented towards statistics, you have strong
computational
      skills and experience in statistical modeling, including data wrangling,
      model validation, and uncertainty assessment.
      -

      A proficient designer. If your project involves prototyping user
      interfaces, you have a portfolio of UX / interaction /
visualization design
      examples.

   Accommodations

   If you require assistance due to a disability applying for open
   positions please submit a request via this Accommodations Request Form
   <https://careers.mail.salesforce.com/accommodations-request-form>.

   Posting Statement

   At Salesforce we believe that the business of business is to improve the
   state of our world. Each of us has a responsibility to drive Equality in
   our communities and workplaces. We are committed to creating a workforce
   that reflects society through inclusive programs and initiatives such as
   equal pay, employee resource groups, inclusive benefits, and more. Learn
   more about Equality at Salesforce and explore our benefits.

   *Salesforce.com* <http://salesforce.com/> and *Salesforce.org*
   <http://salesforce.org/> are Equal Employment Opportunity and
   Affirmative Action Employers. Qualified applicants will receive
   consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex,
   sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age,
   marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status.
   *Salesforce.com* <http://salesforce.com/> and *Salesforce.org*
   <http://salesforce.org/> do not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency
   resumes. *Salesforce.com* <http://salesforce.com/> and *Salesforce.org*
   <http://salesforce.org/> will not pay any third-party agency or company
   that does not have a signed agreement with *Salesforce.com*
   <http://salesfore.com/> or *Salesforce.org* <http://salesforce.org/>.

   Salesforce welcomes all.