[Ieee_vis_open_positions] Research Scientist, Tableau

Matthew Brehmer mbrehmer at tableau.com
Wed Aug 10 23:08:56 CEST 2022

Job Details

Tableau Research (*research.tableau.com* <http://research.tableau.com/>) is
an industrial research team focused on Tableau’s mission of helping people
see and understand data. As part of Tableau’s Office of the CTO (OCTO), we
work to be a source of new and inspiring product and technology directions
for Tableau each year, generating ideas that influence, drive, or
significantly change what Tableau delivers to customers. As a research lab,
we aim to both provide value to Tableau and a foundation for research
scientists to do world-class research.

We are looking for *early-career* research scientists, although prior
experience at an industry research lab or a startup is definitely a plus!
An ideal candidate has deep technical experience in a domain relevant to
Tableau such as 1) applied ML/AI to support visual analytics and
human-in-the-loop systems, 2) NLP for search and content retrieval as well
as for question and answering systems, 3) data-driven collaboration and
presentation, or 4) HCI techniques for multimodal interaction to support
data exploration.

Primary responsibilities:

   -

   Design and manage a portfolio of research projects and activities that
   are relevant to Tableau’s mission. The projects include exploring new ways
   to help people collect, explore, interact with, analyze, visualize, and
   derive actionable insights from data
   -

   Validate and communicate research innovation to the rest of Tableau via
   prototypes, peer-reviewed publications, whitepapers, and presentations
   -

   Work collaboratively with other research scientists, developers, and
   product managers to drive research results to product impact
   -

   Understand Tableau products, customers, and business goals to further
   innovation and to help create new products and services
   -

   Participate in external research and technical communities to hone your
   expertise, provide thought leadership and build relationships

Qualifications:

   -

   PhD, or the equivalent, in a technical domain relevant to Tableau
   Research
   -

   Fluent with the relevant technical skills necessary to implement your
   research ideas
   -

   Experience working as a research partner to industry
   -

   Experience pitching research ideas and/or leading a group of people
   towards a common goal
   -

   Enthusiasm for Tableau’s mission as a focus for your research agenda
   -

   Experience publishing research results at major conferences or in
   journals, such as those sponsored by ACM or IEEE

Accommodations

If you require assistance due to a disability applying for open positions
please submit a request via this Accommodations Request Form
<https://careers.mail.salesforce.com/accommodations-request-form>.

Posting Statement

At Salesforce we believe that the business of business is to improve the
state of our world. Each of us has a responsibility to drive Equality in
our communities and workplaces. We are committed to creating a workforce
that reflects society through inclusive programs and initiatives such as
equal pay, employee resource groups, inclusive benefits, and more. Learn
more about Equality at Salesforce and explore our benefits.

*Salesforce.com* <http://salesforce.com/> and *Salesforce.org*
<http://salesforce.org/> are Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative
Action Employers. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for
employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual
orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital
status, protected veteran status, or disability status. *Salesforce.com*
<http://salesforce.com/> and *Salesforce.org* <http://salesforce.org/> do
not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes. *Salesforce.com*
<http://salesforce.com/> and *Salesforce.org* <http://salesforce.org/> will
not pay any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed
agreement with *Salesforce.com* <http://salesfore.com/> or *Salesforce.org*
<http://salesforce.org/>.

Salesforce welcomes all.

*Apply Here*