[Econmaster2012] Research Seminar in Economics, May 19: Peter Egger

Frank Stähler frank.staehler at uni-tuebingen.de
Sun May 17 19:35:55 CEST 2015

Dear all,

The next Research Seminar in Economics will take place on Tuesday (May
19) at 2.15 pm in room E09 in Mohlstraße 36. Peter Egger from the ETH
Zurich will do this seminar, and the title of his talk will be

"The Exporter Wage Premium. When Firms and Workers are Heterogeneous".

You find an abstract of his paper below.

You find the program and paper links of the RSE under
http://www.wiwi.uni-tuebingen.de/forschung0/research-seminars/research-seminar-in-economics.html.

I am looking forward to seeing you on Tuesday afternoon.

Best wishes,
Frank Stähler

Abstract:

We set up a trade model with heterogeneous firms and two types of
workers with differing skill levels. Workers within each skill category
differ in their abilities and, due to complementarity between firm
productivity and worker ability, there is positive assortative matching
of workers with high abilities to firms with high productivities. This
generates wage differentials across firms and provides a rationale for
the existence of an exporter wage premium. In an empirical exercise we
employ linked employer-employee data from Germany to structurally
estimate the parameters of our model. With these parameter estimates we
compute an exporter wage premium, averaged across all skill levels, of
nearly 13 percent. In a decomposition exercise, we show that exporters
pay a wage premium only to their skilled workforce, which is the reason
for higher country-wide wage inequality in the open economy.

--

Frank Stähler
Professor of Economics
frank.staehler at uni-tuebingen.de

Coordinator Doctoral Program in Economics (DPE)
http://www.uni-tuebingen.de/de/41162

Adjunct Professor of Economics
School of Economics
The University of Adelaide