[Econmaster2012] Research Seminar in Economics, June 1: Jim Markusen

Frank Stähler frank.staehler at uni-tuebingen.de
Fri May 29 09:30:10 CEST 2015

Dear all,

We could win Jim Markusen for the next Research Seminar in Economics.
Since Jim cannot spend too much time at Tübingen, his seminar will take
place on Monday (June 1) at 4.15 pm in room E09 in Mohlstraße 36. He
will present

"An Alternative Base Case for Modeling Trade and the Environment".

You find an abstract of his paper below.

You find the program and paper links of the RSE under
http://www.wiwi.uni-tuebingen.de/forschung0/research-seminars/research-seminar-in-economics.html.

I am looking forward to seeing you on Monday late afternoon.

Best wishes,
Frank Stähler

Abstract:

The trade-and-environment literature often begins with a generic base
case. Sectors differ in pollution intensities and countries have
sectoral comparative advantage. Pollution comes from production, not
consumption, and consumers have identical, homothetic preferences over
goods and environmental quality. Policy instruments are Pigouvian taxes
and tariffs. I argue that this model is counter-empirical in some ways
and assumes away other crucial features. I offer a simple alternative
base case, in which global pollution is proportional to all economic
activity, and where environmental quality has an income elasticity of
demand exceeding one. An income tax can fund an abatement activity,
diverting resource from production and creating a terms-of-trade
externality that passes some costs of abatement to the other country. I
contrast cooperative and non-cooperative outcomes between governments of
two countries differing in per-capita incomes. Free trade is good for
the environment because (a) gains from trade increase resources devoted
to abatement and (b) countries can pass more of their abatement costs to
the other country in the non-cooperative case. Leakage takes a very
different form called “policy leakage” and border taxes are
counter-productive. When per-capita income differences are large, a poor
country may be worse off when the large country abates (reversing the
usual argument on free riding) and cooperative bargaining over abatement
levels may offer no gains. Finally, I examine “issue linking” in
bargaining when one country is both large and rich, and hence has both a
high tariff and a high abatement effort in a non-cooperative equilibrium.

--

Frank Stähler
Professor of Economics
frank.staehler at uni-tuebingen.de

Coordinator Doctoral Program in Economics (DPE)
http://www.uni-tuebingen.de/de/41162

Adjunct Professor of Economics
School of Economics
The University of Adelaide