[Ieee_vis_open_positions] ostDoc and Ph.D. Positions in Personalized VA open at University of Zurich

Jürgen Bernard bernard at ifi.uzh.ch
Mon Oct 21 08:30:35 CEST 2024

Dear colleagues,

The Interactive Visual Data Analysis (IVDA) Group at the University of
Zurich (UZH) invites applications for both a Ph.D. and a Post-Doc track
(m/f/d), at the intersection of visual analytics, interactive ML, and
human-centered AI. Together, we will design and develop novel approaches
for the characterization, design, and evaluation of interactive visual
data analysis solutions that combine the strengths of both humans and
algorithms.
We are pursuing a human-centered approach to data science, machine
learning, and AI, to foster human involvement rather than replace it in
the data analysis process. In the context of digitalization, data-driven
research and decision-making, human-machine collaboration, and
human-centered AI, we will study human workflows, identify and preserve
steps with high human intellectuality, and establish practices of both
high human control and automation.

Both positions will work in a project about human preference elicitation
and multi-criteria decision support, which we will study for the case of
item ranking challenges. The figure exemplifies a multi-criteria
decision-making problem: buying the car, according to five elicited
criteria. We will study how such highly personalized ranking approaches
can be achieved interactively.

Title of the SNF-funded project is: Personalized Visual Analytics Human
Preference Elicitation for Ranking-Based Multi-Criteria Decision Support.
Project duration is four years, in collaboration with Prof. Mennatallah
El-Assady (ETH Zurich).
Start date is end of 2024.
Flyer: https://juergen-bernard.de/pdf/postDocFlyer.pdf
Job Announcement: at: https://www.ifi.uzh.ch/en/ivda/open-positions.html

For more information, please reach out me.
Best,
Jürgen Bernard

Research Context: Multi-criteria decision support through item ranking
is an understudied research direction. Current solutions exhibit
considerable limitations, primarily due to their inability to meet the
multi-faceted nature of human decision-making. Choosing between
thousands of relevant items is a common task, where people are left
alone with the need to express and balance multiple desirable
preferences at once. Item rankings are a popular and universal approach
to structuring unorganized item collections by multiple criteria. With
IVDA solutions, people can express multiple preferences, used by
algorithms to compute human-centered and personal rankings. Visual
Analytics (VA) is a field of research that supports complex human
decision-making tasks by bringing together human intellectuality with
the computational power of algorithms in effective human-in-the-loop
approaches. The figure on the right exemplifies a multi-criteria

--
Jürgen Bernard
Assistant Professor of Computer Science