[Ieee_vis_open_positions] Multiple Post-doc, PhD, MPhil, and RA Positions at HKUST VisLab

YANG Leni cseleni at ust.hk
Fri Jul 14 04:39:32 CEST 2023

Dear prospective Post-doc researchers, PhD and Mphil students, and RAs,

The HKUST VisLab<http://vis.cse.ust.hk/> led by Prof. Huamin Qu<http://www.huamin.org/> at the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) is seeking highly motivated and talented Post-doc, PhD, MPhil, and Research Assistants to join the research team. Applications are open until all positions are filled.

The HKUST VisLab is dedicated to advancing the frontiers of visual analytics and information visualization, driven by a passion for transformative research with far-reaching academic and social impact. The following are highlighted newly funded R&D projects in VisLab.

Technology Development of Digital Twin for RES (Regional Earth System) of the GBA (Guangdong–Hong Kong–Macao Greater Bay Area): The project aims to revolutionize traditional RES modeling by creating an accurate, adaptable, and user-friendly digital representation of the physical system. Integrating real-time data from diverse domains, the project delivers a comprehensive and precise depiction of the GBA's RES. Our team is developing an immersive visual analytics system, enabling users to interact seamlessly with the digital twin and efficiently extract insights from complex data. This empowers decision-makers with a comprehensive understanding of the GBA's earth system dynamics, leading to well-informed choices for sustainable growth and development. With a particular focus on disaster prevention and mitigation, the project has the potential to transform urban planning, resource management, and environmental policy, ultimately improving the lives of millions in the region.

Al-assisted Virtual Reality English Speaking Program for Secondary Students: This project seeks to transform English language education by addressing common challenges faced by learners. By bringing together the expertise of academic institutions, technology companies, and schools, our project aims to empower English language learners, offering them an immersive language tutoring system within the metaverse. By leveraging AI technology, an AI tutor will provide learners with prompt and expert feedback, allowing them to enhance their proficiency in real-time. Implemented within a virtual reality environment, the system will enable learners to practice and refine their English communication skills through simulated real-world scenarios. This innovative approach aims to create an engaging and authentic learning experience, enhancing language proficiency and building learners' confidence in using English in practice.

Besides the highlighted research projects, we are actively conducting research in a diverse range of research directions, such as AI4VIS<http://vis.cse.ust.hk/groups/ai4vis/>,  Explainable AI (XAI)<http://vis.cse.ust.hk/groups/xai-vis/>, Immersive Visual Analytics<http://vis.cse.ust.hk/groups/xr-vis/>, E-Learning<http://vis.cse.ust.hk/groups/e-learning/>, and Data Storytelling<http://vis.cse.ust.hk/groups/storytelling/>. We welcome students with a keen interest and enthusiasm for contributing to these research areas. To gain a deeper understanding of our work, the people behind it, and the topics we are passionate about, we invite you to visit our lab's website at https://vis.cse.ust.hk/.

Required Qualifications for Post-Doc

  *   A PhD degree in computer science or related fields and a demonstrated ability to conduct independent research in relevant research directions;

  *   Good communication and teamwork skills include presenting research results, collaborating on projects with other researchers, and communicating effectively with project stakeholders;

  *   Strong programming skills, proficiency in at least one of the programming skills: data visualization and web development (e.g., D3, Unity, VueJS/React), AR/VR development, and artificial intelligence (e.g., TensorFlow, PyTorch);

  *   Experience in mentoring students and writing grant proposals for research funding are a plus.

Responsibilities of Post-Doc

  *   Engage in grant applications and project management;

  *   Mentor students in their research;

  *   Conduct cutting-edge research in the field of computer science and data visualization;

  *   Collaborate with a team of researchers on various projects.

Required Qualifications for PhD

  *   A bachelor’s degree or above in computer science or related majors;

  *   Strong interests and motivation in the above-listed research direction;

  *   Great academic records;

  *   Experience or skills in one or more of the following areas is strongly preferred:

     *   Proficient in VR/AR research and development

     *   Proficient in AI research and big data analysis, including data fusion research

     *   Proficient in Front-end and Back-end development

     *   Experience in digital-twin related research

     *   Experience in scientific visualization and computer graphics.

Required Qualifications for Mphil and RA

  *   RA should be able to work full-time (already graduated or will graduate before the contract start time);

  *   Strong interests and motivation in the above-listed research direction;

  *   Strong programming skills in one or more of the following areas:

     *   VR/AR development

     *   AI and big data techniques, such as data fusion

     *   Front-end and Back-end development, such as JavaScript, HTML5, and Python

     *   Scientific visualization programming and computer graphics;

  *   For Mphil, the candidate should have great academic records;

  *   Good communication skills and teamwork spirit.

Responsibilities of MPhil and RA

  *   Participate in one to two research and development (R&D) projects;

  *   Participate in research and paper submissions;

  *   For Mphil students, they should fulfill the credit requirement.

Salary Offer

  *   For Post-doc, we offer a monthly salary of 32K HK$. In addition to Hong Kong statutory holidays, 12 days of additional paid holidays are available each year.

  *   PhD and MPhil students will at least have a studentship of 18K HK$ per month;

  *   For PhD students, we can help you apply for the Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Scheme (HKPFS) which has an annual stipend of 331K HK$;

  *   For RA, we offer a monthly salary of 15K HK$ for candidates with a bachelor's degree and 20K HK$ for candidates with a master’s degree;

Materials Submission

For Post-doc, please send an email to cseleni at ust.hk<mailto:cseleni at ust.hk> with the following information:

  *   a cover letter with a brief statement of research experience and future research interests;

  *   a detailed curriculum vitae.

For PhD/Mphil/RA, Please send an email to cseleni at ust.hk<mailto:cseleni at ust.hk> with a detailed curriculum vitae.

Best regards,
Leni YANG