[Ieee_vis_open_positions] Multiple Research Assistant Professorship Opening at VisLab, the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology

YANG Leni cseleni at ust.hk
Fri Jul 14 04:34:51 CEST 2023

Dear research scientists,

The HKUST VisLab<http://vis.cse.ust.hk/> led by Prof. Huamin Qu<http://www.huamin.org/> at the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) is seeking talented research scientists who are highly motivated to pursue an outstanding academic career to join our team. Applications are open until all positions are filled.

The HKUST VisLab is dedicated to advancing the frontiers of visualization and interdisciplinary research, driven by a passion for transformative research with far-reaching academic and social impact. We are actively conducting research in a wide range of research directions, including AI4VIS<http://vis.cse.ust.hk/groups/ai4vis/>,  Explainable AI (XAI)<http://vis.cse.ust.hk/groups/xai-vis/>, Immersive Visual Analytics<http://vis.cse.ust.hk/groups/xr-vis/>, E-Learning<http://vis.cse.ust.hk/groups/e-learning/>, and Data Storytelling<http://vis.cse.ust.hk/groups/storytelling/>. Our lab has secured funding from the Areas of Excellence and Theme-based Research Schemes, the Quality Education Fund, the RGC General Research Fund, and the Innovation and Technology Fund. We have led and participated in ten HK$10 million-level projects.

Under such powerful support, our dedicated research team has reached an unparalleled milestone: 91 publications in the prestigious IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics journal, which puts us as the No.1 contributor to TVCG, having published the highest number of papers among all other labs in the field. We have also been continuously broadening our horizons to publish in other top-tier venues, such as the Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems.

We welcome researchers who are motivated to blend their innovative research and ideas into our lab. To gain a deeper understanding of our work, the people behind it, and the topics we are passionate about, welcome to visit our lab's website at https://vis.cse.ust.hk/.

Required Qualifications for Research Assistant Professorship

  *   A Ph.D. degree in computer science or related fields;

  *   A demonstrated ability to write research funding proposals as PI;

  *   Good communication and teamwork skills include presenting research results, collaborating on projects with other researchers, and communicating effectively with project stakeholders.

Responsibilities of Research Assistant Professorship

  *   Apply for RGC General Research Fund (GRF) 2024/25 Exercise. RAPs awarded GRF 24/25 are also expected to submit for GRF 2025/26 Exercise;

  *   Conduct cutting-edge research in the field of data visualization and computer science;

  *   Collaborate with a team of researchers on various projects;

  *   Mentor students in their research.

Note: The contract a RAP offer made is with a two-year duration, which can be extended into a “2+1” model. The third year is intended for the RAPs to further develop and complete the granted RGC projects, and to bring their research to fruition.

Materials Submission

Please send an email to huamin at cse.ust.hk<mailto:huamin at cse.ust.hk> (cc: cseleni at ust.hk<mailto:cseleni at ust.hk> ) with the following information:

  *   a cover letter with a brief statement of research experience and future research interests

  *   a detailed curriculum vitae

Best regards,

Leni Yang