[Ieee_vis_open_positions] Assistant Professor and Professor of Practice positions at Tulane

Summa, Brian bsumma at tulane.edu
Mon Nov 14 15:40:14 CET 2022

Hello all,

We are hiring this year and are particularly interested in applicants working in databases, VIS, or HCI.

Cheers,
Brian

Faculty Positions in Computer Science at Tulane

The Department of Computer Science at Tulane University invites applications for faculty positions at the Assistant Professor and Professor of Practice levels beginning in Fall 2023. We welcome and encourage applications from members of underrepresented groups. Our friendly and collaborative department currently has 10 tenure-track/tenured faculty and 4 Professors of Practice with a commitment to grow over the next few years. In our research and teaching, we take pride in our equal focus on both computer science and its interdisciplinary applications. Our current faculty are engaged in collaborative research with colleagues in the School of Science and Engineering, the School of Liberal Arts, and the Health Sciences. More information about the department, its faculty, its research areas, and its undergraduate and graduate programs can be found at https://sse.tulane.edu/cs.

Tulane University is a private Carnegie-R1 university and a member of the prestigious Association of American Universities (AAU). Tulane brings together bold and creative scholars, scientists and students who are committed to crossing boundaries. Data-intensive discovery lies at the heart of research and education at Tulane, and is fueled by the Data Hub, Tulane’s new Center for Data Literacy. Tulane resides in historic New Orleans, Louisiana – a city that takes the utmost pride in its vibrant music scene, world-class restaurants, rich confluence of cultures and traditions, and festive Mardi Gras parades. “The things that make life worth living – eating, drinking and the making of merriment – are the air that New Orleans breathes.” – Adam Karlin, Lonely Planet. The Princeton Review ranks Tulane at or near the top for Most Engaged in Community (#1), College City (#1), Happiest Students (#4), Best-Run College (#4), and Quality of Life (#9).

Assistant Professor

The department is looking to expand expertise in all areas related to data-intensive computing. Areas of interest include, but are not limited to, databases, visualization, and Human-Computer Interaction (HCI). Outstanding candidates from other areas will be considered as well, for example in quantum computing or programming languages/compilers. The candidate should demonstrate a strong potential to engage in high quality research and teaching at both the undergraduate and graduate level To support junior faculty in establishing their research program, assistant professors in our department teach at most one course per semester.

Professor of Practice

Tulane Professors of Practice are faculty who design, enhance, and teach courses, and provide departmental and university service. Their term appointments are renewable every three years (initially) and every five years after promotion to Senior Professor of Practice. The typical teaching load is three courses per semester (two preps). Tulane recognizes and rewards innovative and quality teaching. Candidates interested in creating and adopting pedagogical innovations, conducting scholarly activity in computer science education, or developing original elective courses will find many opportunities and support to pursue their interests. The successful candidate will have a record of excellent teaching and mentoring at the undergraduate level, and commitment to student-centered teaching and to increasing diversity in computing.

Application Instructions

Review of applications for all positions will begin December 15, 2022, and will continue until the positions are filled.

Assistant Professor: Please submit a CV, statements on research, teaching, and diversity, and at least three letters of recommendation at http://apply.interfolio.com/117069.

Professor of Practice: Please submit a CV, a teaching statement including teaching evaluations, a diversity statement, and at least three letters of recommendation that address teaching at http://apply.interfolio.com/117065.

Tulane University is located in New Orleans – a city with tremendous history of diverse cultures, community, and languages. Tulane is actively building a campus culture grounded in our values of EDI and anti-racism. We seek and welcome candidate applications from historically underrepresented groups, such as BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, People of Color), women, LGBTQ+, and those living with disabilities as well as veterans.

Tulane University is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution committed to excellence through diversity. Tulane University will not discriminate based upon race, ethnicity, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, marital status, military or veteran status, or any other status or classification protected by federal, state, or local law. All eligible candidates are encouraged to apply.