[Ieee_vis_open_positions] Fwd: RESEARCH DIRECTOR vacancy at RISEup Centre of Excellence - CYPRUS
despina.michael at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 22:29:28 CEST 2020
please find below information for the RESEARCH DIRECTOR vacancy at RISE
Centre of Excellence - CYPRUS.
You may distribute to anyone that might be interested in.
More information available here:
*H2020 - RISE CUT Principal Investigator*
*RESEARCH DIRECTOR vacancy*
*at RISE Centre of Excellence - CYPRUS*
* http://rise <http://rise/> org.cy <http://org.cy/>*
The Research Centre on Interactive Media, Smart System and Emerging
Technologies – RISE (www.rise.org.cy), empowers knowledge and technology
transfer in the region. RISE is a significant investment supported by the
European Commission, the Republic of Cyprus and its founding Partners, the
Municipality of Nicosia, Max Planck, University College London, the
University of Cyprus, the Cyprus University of Technology and the Open
University of Cyprus.
RISE, as a centre of excellence, cultivates a culture of innovation and
creativity in an inspiring environment filled with academics, researchers,
creative and onward-looking people, innovators, entrepreneurs, and
practitioners. The centre operates under the moto “Inspired by Humans
Designed for Humans” with the vision to produce world class research that
drives innovation towards social and economic benefit while conducting
excellent, internationally competitive scientific research in the areas of
visual sciences, human factors and design, communication, and artificial
The Centre is seeking a Research Director (RD) to join its fast-growing
team of passionate and enthusiastic professionals. RISE is an equal
opportunity employer and the position is open to everyone, internationally.
A core activity of RISE is to conduct high calibre, state of the art
research (theoretical and applied). The Research Director will be
responsible for overseeing the overall scientific progress of the Centre,
guide and monitor research progress. A central task is to acquire research
funding for the Centre, to provide facilities to the researchers, and to
support them to acquire funding for their research independently and via
international and local collaborations. Collaborations with industrial
partners will be particularly encouraged and facilitated.
At a strategic level, the RD will be charged with the developing and
overseeing the execution of the Strategic Research plan of RISE. This plan
should be regularly visited and updated to meet the long-term plans of the
Appropriate measures of success will be collaboratively determined based on
the Centre’s strategic plan and sustainability targets. These will be
revised periodically with the Executive team and the Board of Directors
Main Duties and Responsibilities
The Research Director is expected to:
- Lead the Centre’s research by coordinating the organization-wide
strategy development, working towards mission achievement, promoting a
healthy research environment, and fostering cross-Departmental
- Articulate the Centre’s research agenda in close collaboration with
the Multidisciplinary Research Group leaders.
- In consultation with the Pillar leaders and the Consortium Partners of
the RISE project, formulate and regularly update the RISE Centre research
- Drive effective strategies to improve RISE’s national and
international competitive grants performance, as well as the government and
industry-sponsored research funding performance.
- Provides constant support to the researchers of RISE by allocating
accordingly the resources of the Research Support Office.
- Oversees the procedure for hiring and promotion of the scientific
staff as well as the appointment of pillar experts.
- Collaborate with the Executive Team and the Board of Directors to
ensure appropriate alignment between research strategy, infrastructure
strategy, and industry engagement and commercialization.
- Oversees the planning and implements the design of the ICT and other
research facilities appropriate to the Centre’s research.
- Facilitates interdisciplinary research and fosters a common
institutional culture by monitoring potential barriers and supporting the
ongoing development of cross-disciplinary teams.
- Supports researchers within RISE to align their research priorities,
build research profiles nationally and internationally, and ensure that
their strategies and plans align with RISE’s research strategy.
- Ensure RISE’s integrity and compliance with the European Code of
Conduct for Research Integrity.
- Engage with government and industry bodies to raise the profile of
RISE as a research-intensive institution.
- Ensure that the research related KPIs are delivered.
Profile of the ideal candidate
Required Qualifications, Characteristics, and Experience:
Ideal candidates for the position should be conspicuously passionate about
RISE’s mission; poised and confident with executive presence; manifest
leadership, professionalism, and interpersonal acumen. All candidates are
expected to be capable of serving as a trusted advisor in the areas of
research leadership, standards, professional learning, management and
evaluation. Ideal candidates will possess an innovative and progressive
nature and have a demonstrated track record of research achievements.
Qualifications, Experience, Skills, & Knowledge:
1. A doctorate in a relevant to the RISE activities and disciplines.
2. A distinguished record of research and scholarship together with a
scholarly reputation of international standards, as evidenced by a
substantial number of top-tier scientific publications and successful
competitive funding applications.
3. Significant academic leadership and management experience.
4. A prominent track record in innovation activities.
5. Outstanding knowledge of spoken and written English. Knowledge of
spoken Greek would be an advantage.
6. Strong planning skills and the ability to develop and lead the
implementation of the Centre’s strategic response to emerging opportunities
for research excellence, relevance, and impact.
7. Proven record in building and managing relationships with industry
partners, potential investors, and stakeholders including governments to
achieve the goals of the Centre and enhance its reputation as a preferred
8. Executive presence and intellectual capacity, stamina and agility to
deal with a broad span of duties to gain the respect of a wide range of
stakeholders, and to balance internal and external demands.
9. Alignment with RISE’s guiding principles, as well as a high level of
emotional intelligence and resilience. Excellent oral and written
communication & interpersonal skills, including the ability to liaise with
staff at a range of levels internal and external to the organization.
10. Ability to organise and prioritise a varied and demanding workload
using methodological approaches and paying close attention to detail.
11. Effective negotiation skills to work with and through others.
12. Record of successful line management and development of staff, thus
demonstrating proven team leadership and motivational skills.
13. Ability to present at Board level and to handle media and press.
14. Ability to work effectively under pressure, to manage projects, to
prioritise tasks, and to schedule activities effectively.
1. Commitment to equal opportunities and to harmonious collaboration
with colleagues, associates and students of all cultures and background.
2. Ability to exercise tact and discretion and to display a professional
attitude towards colleagues, associates, students and others.
3. A commitment to continuous professional development activities to
keep the knowledge base and skills up-to-date, and to develop them further.
4. Promote RISE’s values and objectives to colleagues and externally to
A very attractive remuneration package will be offered to the successful
candidate according to qualifications and experience. Membership to RISE
Provident Fund Scheme.
For full consideration interested candidates should submit the following
items *via email* to vacancies at rise.org.cy and use the Email subject
1. Cover letter which clearly specifies availability date for full time
2. Detailed CV (including contact details)
3. Full Publications list and a list of three selected publications (if
a selected publication is not under open access, the candidate should
include the pdf file in the documents)
4. A document (3-5 pages) about the *vision* for RISE which includes:
- Short and long-term plan of action regarding the Centre of
Excellence and the research strategy to be followed and implemented.
5. A document (3-5 pages) on a topic to be selected by the candidate
6. Copies of degree certificates. True copies of the originals will be
requested for the shortlisted candidates.
7. Contact details of three referees. Letters of reference will be
requested only for short-listed candidates.
Note that if you previously applied for a post at RISE, a new application
Deadline: Friday, July 31, 2020.
*Review of applications will begin shortly after the application deadline.*
For general inquiries, applicants may contact the HR Department of the
Research Centre on Interactive Media, Smart Systems and Emerging
Technologies at vacancies at rise.org.cy
For non-EU applicants a work permit will be required.
All applications are treated in the strictest confidence.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the ieee_vis_open_positions