[Ieee_vis_open_positions] 8+ PhD spots in UCL Foundational AI program

Gabriel J. Brostow G.Brostow at cs.ucl.ac.uk
Thu Jan 17 17:23:55 CET 2019

UCL's Computer Science Department has a PhD admissions deadline of 17th
April, 2019.

We (ML, Computer Vision, Neuroscience, Robotics, NLP, Graphics, and more
within the CS Department) are recruiting for a cohort of star PhD students
to work on Foundational AI, with exact numbers to be confirmed, but with
funding from multiple sources (DeepMind, Adobe, and Niantic, to name a
few). The idea is that this cohort will work on AI innovations for a
"normal" 3+ years PhD, embedded within a research group in the department,
but also that members of the cohort will learn and work together, to get
the benefits of being in a cross-disciplinary group, selected especially
to be diverse in terms of people, specialties, and aims.

The Foundational AI program, within the associated and brand-new AI Center
(http://ai.cs.ucl.ac.uk/), is aimed to help students publish papers that
generalize to different problems and datsets. For example, a model that
supports small shot learning to recognize an animal's species from a small
number of training images, should also be capable of modeling its
uncertainty and asking a user follow-up questions. But not just for animal
images.

Members of the Centre will work alongside the cohorts of PhD students in
the Foundational AI program, producing both groundbreaking research, and
helping with post-PhD endeavors, including preparation for careers in
academic/industrial research, and incubation of startups.

Some further funding is still pending approval, so I'm expecting over 10
spots are available, and there could be more. To be confirmed, so stay
tuned.

We particularly welcome female applicants and those from an ethnic
minority, as they are under-represented within UCL. This is serious, and
not just a blurb.

Our funding model still favors UK/EU-resident students, but there is scope
for one or two "overseas" students each year.

To apply, visit
http://www.cs.ucl.ac.uk/prospective_students/phd_programme/applying/, and
look for 3) Complete an online application. For the time being, you can
list "Foundational AI" in answering which PhD supervisor you're most
aligned with, and optionally add any names that you already know are
interesting to you.

Please DO NOT send me CV's or applications - you must submit them through
the UCL system, and I do not make the admissions decisions. Finally, if
you're excited about doing research in Computer Vision or related
subjects, but aren't yet ready to do a PhD, we have MSc and MRes(Research)
programs in ML and CSML, and also Graphics, Vision & Imaging:
http://www.cs.ucl.ac.uk/prospective_students/

Best of luck,
-Gabe

--