[Ieee_vis_open_positions] Tenure-track faculty positions at Tufts University

Remco Chang remco at cs.tufts.edu
Fri Aug 4 18:07:13 CEST 2017

Hi everyone,

We have a faculty search this year that is related to VIS and Data Science.
I'm the chair for the "Systems for Data Science" track of the search. If
you are interested, please do not hesitate to reach out!

https://apply.interfolio.com/43666

Below is the full job post for your convenience

Tufts University: School of Engineering: Computer Science
Location: Boston, MA
________________________________

The Department of Computer Science at Tufts University invites applications
for multiple tenure-track faculty positions to begin in September 2018. We
are seeking candidates at the rank of Assistant Professor but exceptional
candidates at the rank of Associate or full Professor will also be
considered. We are especially interested in candidates with research in
Artificial Intelligence/Machine Learning/Robotics, Security, and Systems
for Data Science, where these areas are broadly construed. Exceptional
candidates in other areas will be considered as well.

We are looking for engaged and engaging researchers and teachers with a
strong vision who can build and maintain a high-quality research program at
Tufts and whose research will both connect with some of our current faculty
and extend into new areas.

Artificial Intelligence: We seek candidates to complement the department's
strengths in artificial intelligence, machine learning, robotics, and
human-robot interaction. We are especially interested in candidates
bridging research in machine learning, natural language understanding, and
robotics but candidates in all areas of AI are encouraged to apply.

Security: We seek candidates to complement the department's strengths in
language-based security, cybersecurity policy, and privacy. Areas of
particular interest include network security, systems security, security of
IoT systems, and resilience, but candidates in all security-related areas
are encouraged to apply.

Systems for Data Science: We seek candidates to complement the department's
strengths in system management for big data, networking, programming
languages, visual analytics and human-computer interaction. Applicants in
all areas of systems for big data (that enable the collection, storage,
computation, retrieval, enrichment, interaction, analysis, communication,
and human understanding of large amounts of data) are encouraged to apply.

The department has grown significantly in the past decade in faculty and
student size and in research funding. Located in the Boston area, the
department benefits from outstanding undergraduate and graduate students,
collaborative faculty, and cross-disciplinary research opportunities. Tufts
University is one of the smallest universities ranked as a Research 1
university, so it offers the best of a liberal arts college atmosphere
coupled with the intellectual and technological resources of a major
research university. Tufts University supports and encourages a culture of
interdisciplinary research and there are numerous such opportunities within
the School of Engineering, School of Arts and Sciences, the Fletcher School
of Law & Diplomacy, and our other graduate and professional schools.

The Tufts School of Engineering distinguishes itself by the
interdisciplinary focus and integrative nature of its engineering education
within the intellectually rich environment of a research university.
Located only six miles from historic downtown Boston, faculty members on
the Tufts Medford/Somerville campus have extensive opportunities for
academic and industrial collaboration as well as participation in the rich
intellectual life of the area. The School of Engineering is in the midst of
a period of exciting growth that has seen the recruitment of outstanding
new faculty, a quadrupling of funded research over the last ten years, the
addition of new buildings and laboratory space, an emphasis on building
diversity in engineering, and major curricular initiatives at both the
undergraduate and graduate levels.

QUALIFICATIONS

Applicants must hold a doctorate by the beginning of the appointment, must
have an active research program, must show promise of continued outstanding
research activity, and must exhibit a strong commitment to excellence in
teaching.

Expertise in Artificial Intelligence/Machine Learning/Robotics, Security,
or Systems for Data Science is preferred.

APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS

Please submit your application online through Interfolio at
https://apply.interfolio.com/43666. We request the following: (a) a letter
of application explaining your interest in Tufts and in this position, (b)
your curriculum vitae, (c) a statement describing your current and planned
research, (d) a statement of your teaching philosophy, (e) a sample of your
scholarly work, and (f) three to five confidential reference letters.

Candidates are encouraged to demonstrate attention to diversity and
inclusion as it relates to teaching, research, and scholarship throughout
their application.

Review of applications will begin December 15, 2017 and will continue until
the position is filled. For more information about the department or the
position, please visit our web page. Inquiries should be emailed to
ttsearch at cs.tufts.edu.

Remco

--
Remco Chang