[Ieee_vis_open_positions] Computer Scientist in Virtual and Augmented Reality (VR/AR)

Andreas.Gerndt at dlr.de Andreas.Gerndt at dlr.de
Fri Oct 14 15:03:18 CEST 2016

The German Aerospace Center DLR has a dual mandate as the national research
center for aeronautics and space, and as the space agency of the German
federal government.

For our institute Simulation and Software Technology in Braunschweig,
Germany, we wish to recruit a qualified

Computer Scientist in Virtual and Augmented Reality (VR/AR)

Investigation of Virtual and Augmented Reality for Next Generation
Engineering Workplaces

Your Mission:

----------------

We are looking for scientists for our 3D Interaction working group. The main
research focus is improving direct human computer interaction for aerospace
applications. Besides virtual reality (VR) techniques, investigation of
(markerless) Augmented Reality (AR) methods becomes more dominant.
Therefore, your tasks would be manifold and would address topics like:

- Virtual assembly simulation for on-orbit servicing of satellites,

- Evaluation and steering of physically correct rover simulations on planet
and comet surfaces,

- Integration of AR techniques for situation evaluation and operation
planning for multi-user tables and in the field for the purpose of crises
management,

- Investigation of next generation workplaces for train operator, air
traffic controller, traffic management systems, etc by means of VR and AR
methods,

- Coupling of multiple VR workplaces to one collaborative environment.

If you feel at home in the development of scientific applications in those
topics, you are interested in implementing solutions for leading edge
technologies like HTC Vive or Microsoft HoloLens and you are always looking
for big challenges to tackle, then this position could be the right one for
you. Maybe you can additionally bring in following skills and experiences:

- Deep experiences in developing methods for human-computer interfaces in
immersive environments (Multi-Pipe Projection, Head Tracking, Physics
Engines, Force Feedback, Scenegraph APIs, VR Toolkits, etc.),

- Practical skills in developing 3D interaction and navigation metaphor,

- Basic knowledge in Augmented Reality (AR) techniques,

- Skills in software development for LINUX.

We are always looking for highly motivated people who want to make our teams
even stronger. We also want to motivate more women to work in our scientific
domain. Part time is also possible. And the opportunity is offered to bring
in own ideas and research topics which have the potential to solve our
mission. Eventually, we are looking for people initiating new research
projects and who are eager to publish their scientific results on
international conferences and in scientific journals.

Required Qualifications:

----------------------------

- You have an excellent Master in Computer Science or in a similar research
direction.

- You are an expert in object-oriented software development in C++.

- You possess a profound knowledge in Computer Graphics.

- You know Software Engineering methods (UML, Test-Driven-Development,
Continuous Integration, Git, etc.) very well.

- You are a team player, creative, and able to work independent and
self-motivated.

- You are fluent in spoken and written English (knowledge of German is an
asset).

If you have any questions concerning specific aspects of the job, please
contact Dr. Andreas Gerndt by calling +49 531 295-2782. Please find further
information on this vacancy with the reference number 03648, and details
regarding the application procedure, at www.DLR.de/dlr/jobs/en/#19718.

Deutsches Zentrum für Luft- und Raumfahrt e.V. (DLR)

German Aerospace Center

Simulation and Software Technology | Software for Space Systems and
Interactive Visualization | Lilienthalplatz 7 | 38108 Braunschweig | Germany

Dr. Andreas Gerndt | Deputy Director of Institute | Head of Department

Telephone +49 531 295-2782 | Mobile +49 172 235-6701 | Telefax +49 531
295-2767 |  <mailto:andreas.gerndt at dlr.de> andreas.gerndt at dlr.de

 <http://www.dlr.de/sc/en> www.DLR.de/sc/en