[Ieee_vis_open_positions] Assistant professor Visual Analytics, Eindhoven University of Technology

Wijk, J.J. van J.J.v.Wijk at TUE.nl
Mon Mar 28 17:40:44 CEST 2016

Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e) has an open position  for an Assistant Professor Visual Analytics.

The rapid expansion of education and research on Data Science of TU/e urges a need for
further growth of the Visualization group, as visualization is considered a crucial aspect
of data science. The group will participate actively in the new Bachelor, Master and
Post Doctorate Engineering programs on data science; at TU/e in Eindhoven and also in
cooperation with Tilburg University in ‘s-Hertogenbosch. Furthermore, the high interest in
data science of government, the health sector, industry, and business provides many
opportunities for expansion of our research.

Position:
We aim to strengthen our position in visual analytics, and are looking for a strong candidate
with a deep interest in the use of combinations of automated and visual methods, driven by a
desire to develop new methods for analysis, presentation and interaction that make a difference
for real-world applications. Also, the candidate enjoys to pass knowledge and experience to new
generations of students, and to guide them doing research and solving real-world problems.
Specifically, we expect that candidates:

•Perform research on visual analytics;
•Acquire research funding;
•Develop and teach courses in visualization and visual analytics;
•Supervise student projects at Bachelor, Master, PD Eng, and PhD level; in Eindhoven and also as
  active contribution to our new joint activities in ‘s-Hertogenbosch.

Candidates must:

•have a PhD in visualization or visual analytics;
•be highly motivated, top quality researchers with a strong track record;
•be inspired by questions and data from practice;
•have a broad experience with different aspects of data science, including collection, storage,
  and analysis of huge data sets;
•be familiar with current technology and tools of data science;
•have experience with teaching and supervision of students;
•have a strong affinity with modern, action-based learning methods.

Appointment and Salary:
We offer:
•A challenging job in a dynamic and ambitious university and a stimulating research environment;
•Support with your professional and personal development;
•A gross salary between € 3.400 and € 4.654 per month depending on experience and knowledge,
  plus 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year allowance;
•An extensive package of fringe benefits (e.g. support in moving expenses and commuting expenses,
  excellent technical infrastructure, on-campus child care, and excellent sports facilities).

Information and application

See http://jobs.tue.nl/en/vacancy/assistant-professor-visual-analytics-256111.html  for more information;
for information about the research and teaching aspects of this position you can contact prof. dr. Jack van Wijk,
email: j.j.v.wijk at tue.nl

Please apply before April 24, 2016.