[Ieee_vis_open_positions] Research Scientists, Yahoo Labs

Yifan Hu yifanhu at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 23 17:08:39 CET 2015

Research Scientists, Yahoo Labs
Yahoo Labs is growing its strategic research teams to enable the company to build cool products and platforms that our customers need, now and in the future. We have exciting job openings in several technical focus areas that are located in our new office in New York City located one block from the Times Square.

We hire the best scientific minds who like to roll up their sleeves make new discoveries that can be presented at the top scientific conferences and contribute to the success of the business. We are looking for Research Scientists with a PhD degree in Computer Science or Electrical Engineering. Our scientists specialize in designing and building scalable and reliable distributed and parallel systems that serve all the aspects of big data like data mining, optimization, machine learning, and analytics. We design innovative algorithms to push the capacity, performance and reliability of our platforms, exploit novel hardware and software architectures, and evaluate the impact in Web-scale production settings. We actively contribute to the scientific and open source communities in foundations of Computer Science, distributed computing, search, databases, and networking.

Responsibilities Include:

    Deep dive into the data to understanding and apply patterns, while maintaining a sense of the big picture
    Work closely with colleagues on the engineering team to put research results into action
    Provide thought leadership to guide the direction of Yahoo products and services
    Push your own research agenda and look to influence our products and services with your expertise.

Required Skills and Qualifications

    PhD in Computer Science or Electrical Engineering
    Strong academic research track record in one of the following areas: Data Mining/Visualization, Machine Learning or related areas.
    Strong design and implementation skills in Java, C++, Scala etc. Experience with large-scale production code development a plus.
    Ability to conduct research that is justified and guided by business opportunities
    Strong communication and presentation skills.

For more information about Yahoo Labs, please visit: http//labs.yahoo.com/

The soft application deadline is November 30, 2015. Please send your CV and a short letter of interest to Yifan Hu (yifanhu  at yahoo-inc.com).