[Ieee_vis_open_positions] Postdoctoral position in interactive visualization at Chalmers, Gothenburg, Sweden

Morten Fjeld fjeld at chalmers.se
Thu Jul 4 23:49:04 CEST 2013

Dear colleagues,

Please feel free to circulate this posting to anyone that may be interested:

Full description and online application: http://www.chalmers.se/en/about-chalmers/vacancies/Pages/default.aspx?rmpage=job&rmjob=1420

Information about the project
We are seeking a highly motivated postdoctoral fellow in the research area of Interactive Visualization. This area combines research into human-computer interaction, computer graphics, and visual design, aiming to facilitate analytical reasoning as we employ our perceptual and cognitive abilities to understand complex information.
Ideal candidates will have a proven track record that demonstrates high-quality independent research. Candidates with demonstrated experience and a high quality publication record on one or several of the following topics are of particular interest:
– human-body reconstruction and tracking
– scientific visualization
– immersive visualization
– human-computer interaction

Major responsibilities
The project will focus on finding and developing interaction methods for large displays that support analytical reasoning for a range of visualization applications. Interaction methods integrating multi-touch and touch-less gesture-based interaction will be of particular interest. Focus will be given to real-life applications and evaluation. The candidate will also be encouraged to propose research projects of their own.

Position summary
Full-time temporary employment. The position is limited to a maximum of two years (1+1).

Required qualifications and experience
To qualify for the position of postdoc, the candidate must have a Ph.D. degree in Computer Science or a related discipline; the degree should generally not be older than three years. Furthermore, candidates should:
– have solid experience with C++
– know GPU programming
– have experience with point cloud processing

Further qualifications that will be given consideration are:
– strong teamwork capability
– experience of software tools for visualization and interaction
– interest in interaction design for real-life applications

Ideal candidates will have publication experience from IEEE VisWeek VAST/SciVis, EG, and/or SIGGRAPH, paired with ambitions for CHI and UIST.

The position will be located within the t2i lab, http://www.t2i.se, hosted at the division of Interaction Design of the Department of Applied Information Technology, http://www.chalmers.se/ait/EN/. Our lab is part of the EU Marie Curie project on Data Intensive Visual Analytics (DIVA); we also run projects with several hi-tech companies such as Volvo, Semcon, and Sectra. Our department has more than 80 faculty members and offers a number of degrees to students committed to scholarship in the wide area of computer science and information technology. We, and most of our industrial partners, are located at Lindholmen Science Park, one of Sweden’s most dynamic hi-tech hubs located only five minutes from the downtown area. Finally, our research environment offers a Barco Galaxy 4K-23, a 6 by 3.2 meters display, equipped with touch sensing.

The position is for two years, with a pre-tax salary of 36.500 SEK/month. As the candidate’s career development is the main focus of this position, teaching and research support will only add up to 100 hours/year only. Relocation costs to Sweden can be paid and help to find a suitable place to live can be provided.

Application procedure
The application should be marked with Ref 20130175 and written in English. The application should be sent electronically and be attached as pdf-files, as below:
Application: (Please name the appendix in the e-recruitment system as: APPLICATION, Surname, reference number)
− CV, include complete list of publications,
− two references that we can contact.
Personal letter/Qualifications 1-3 pages where you introduce yourself, present your qualifications, and describe your future research plans.
− previous research fields and main research results.
− future goals and research focus. Is there any specific projects and research issues you are primarily interested in?
Other:
− attested copies of completed education, grades and other certificates.
Please use the button at the bottom of the page to reach the application form. The files may be compressed (zipped).

Application deadline: 2013-09-25 or until the position is filled.

For questions, please contact
Professor Morten Fjeld
t2i lab, Dept. Applied IT (AIT)
fjeld at chalmers.se