[Ieee_vis] BioVis meetup #3: A pandemic of bad charts by Martin Krzywinski. 24th May 2022 at 5pm Berlin

Heba Sailem heba.sailem at eng.ox.ac.uk
Fri May 20 08:36:38 CEST 2022

Dear all,

We are excited to host Martin Krzywinski for our next BioVis meetup.

Abstract

Without good practices in data exploration, we cannot have answers. Without good visualization design practices, we cannot have good explanations of these answers. Good answers and good visual explanations inform us. In a pandemic, they save us.

Through redesigning pandemic data visualizations from the media, I’ll demonstrate easy-to-follow practical guidelines that will help you untangle your complex charts and clarify your explanations.

Biography

Martin Krzywinski is known for his work in bioinformatics, data visualization and the interface of science and art. He applies design, both data and artistic, to assist discovery, explanation and engagement with scientific data and concepts. His information graphics have appeared in the New York Times, Wired, and Scientific American and on covers of numerous books and scientific journals such as Science and Nature. He is the co-author of Nature Method’s Points of View and Points of Significance columns and the former owner of the world’s most popular rat.

When: 24th May 2022 at 5pm Berlin / 4pm London / 11am East Coast US / 8am California

Where: Zoom  https://tu-dresden.zoom.us/j/86078643977?pwd=dFZiNEIzcWhNUVRDZmt1MVdpWFpjUT09

Meeting ID: 860 7864 3977

Please share the invitation widely!

Best wishes,

Heba and Helena

Dr Heba Sailem
Sir Henry Wellcome Research Fellow
Junior Research Fellow | Corpus Christi College
Big Data Institute | University of Oxford
Institute of Biomedical Engineering | Department of Engineering | University of Oxford

Email: heba.sailem at eng.ox.ac.uk<mailto:heba.sailem at eng.ox.ac.uk>
Data Viz: www.shapography.com<http://www.shapography.com>
Website: www.hebasailem.com<http://www.hebasailem.com>
Twitter: https://twitter.com/hsailem