[Ieee_vis] Last Call: Ocean Visualization at OSM2022 in Honolulu, Hawaii

Drew Stevens astevens at ccom.unh.edu
Mon Sep 27 16:46:47 CEST 2021

Colleagues,

The abstract deadline is quickly approaching for the Ocean Visualization
session at OSM 2022! Please see below for more info. We look forward to
your submissions!

Aloha,

The Data Visualization Research Lab at the Center for Coastal and Ocean
Mapping is convening a scientific session on visualization at the 2022
Ocean Sciences Meeting in Honolulu, Hawaii, from February 27-March 2,
2022. We invite and encourage abstract submissions from any area of the
visualization spectrum. If you have used visualization to analyze or
convey your ocean data, we want to hear about it! Please read the full
session description below. Abstracts will be accepted through September
29 at 23:59 EDT. We hope to see you at OSM 2022 in Hawaii!

*OD09 Ocean Visualization: Extracting insight, interactive analysis,
exploration, and outreach
<https://www.aslo.org/osm2022/abstract-guidelines/>*

Scientific visualization has applications across all coastal and ocean
sciences. From simple infographics that explain scientific findings to
the public, to interactive virtual reality applications used to perform
complex analysis on 4D ocean simulations, visualization helps transform
our data into information.

Visualizations captivate and engage audiences, and effectively
communicate the impact and importance of ocean sciences. The increasing
abilities of web browsers have improved accessibility by making it
possible to deliver interactive 2D and 3D visualizations to the public
without requiring them to install specialized (and often expensive)
software, or download massive datasets.

Interactive 3D technologies, such as virtual reality and augmented
reality, have also become more accessible, with mass production reducing
their cost significantly over the last few years. VR and AR devices have
great potential for ocean science researchers and their outreach
efforts: The combination of true, stereoscopic 3D viewing and
six-degree-of-freedom handheld interaction devices provides a powerful
interface for conducting analyses on inherently 3D data. Furthermore,
the immersive nature of VR makes it possible for anyone to experience
the wonders of the underwater world, without the great expense and
training required to do so in real life.

Please submit and share with us the visualizations that you have created
to analyze ocean data and to present your research findings to the
public. We welcome contributions across the entire range of
visualization: infographics, interactive applications, immersive
experiences, websites, videos, etc.

_Session Format:_ In-person, Standard Oral; 12-minute talks with 3
minutes for Q&A.

The deadline for abstracts is *September 29 @ 23:59 EDT*.

Organizers:
Thomas Butkiewicz, tbutkiewicz at ccom.unh.edu