[Ieee_vis] restoring older archived PDFs to full color

Michael McGuffin michael.mcguffin at etsmtl.ca
Sat Feb 1 19:08:26 CET 2014

Have you noticed that some of the older papers archived in IEEE's
digital libraries (ieeexplore and computer.org) have grayscale,
hard-to-read images, despite the paper being about visualization?  A
good example is the HyperSlice paper by van Wijk and van Liere from VIS
1993 ( http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/VISUAL.1993.398859 ).

If you have color copies of older papers from
- VIS 1995 or earlier,
- InfoVis 1996 or earlier,
- TVCG 1996 or earlier,
then maybe we can improve the archival copies.  I'm in touch with some
folks on the IEEE Digital Library Operations Committee, and if you can
email or snail-mail me either color PDF files or color paper copies (of
individual papers or entire proceedings / journals), then I will see
about getting them to the appropriate person to have the digital
archival copy updated.  If you don't have color copies, but have copies
with grayscale images that are clearer than those in the digital
library, then I'm also interested in hearing from you.

And if there's anyone else out there already looking at this issue, let
me know so we don't duplicate efforts :-)

Thanks,

Michael McGuffin, Professeur
Département de génie logiciel et des TI
École de technologie supérieure