[Econmaster2012] Fwd: Research Seminar in Economics

Frank Stähler frank.staehler at uni-tuebingen.de
Tue Oct 14 09:39:29 CEST 2014

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Betreff: Research Seminar in Economics
Datum: Mon, 13 Oct 2014 11:45:13 +0200
Von: Fachbereich Wiwi <fachbereich at wiwi.uni-tuebingen.de>
FYI: Seminar today!

Dear all,

the Research Seminar in Economics will take place this semester on
Tuesdays, at 14.15 h, in room E09, Mohlstr. 36. We changed the time (and
made sure it does not overlap with Economics lectures) to allow all
Economics PhD students and all interested colleagues to attend. The
seminar schedule is here:

http://www.wiwi.uni-tuebingen.de/forschung0/research-seminars/research-seminar-in-economics.html

The presenter in the first seminar, tomorrow, 14 October, is Professor
Ian King from the University of Melbourne. The title of his talk will be

"Secret Search"

An abstract is enclosed below. I am looking forward to seeing you tomorrow.

Best wishes,
Udo Kreickemeier

Abstract:

We consider the problem, facing an organization, when it seeks to fill a
high-profile position. We focus on the decision, by the organization,
whether to make the identities of applicants public knowledge within the
organization ("open search") or to keep the identities known only to the
committee ("secret search"). We analyse the problem by constructing a
simple model where candidates have 2 key attributes: "ability" and
"match quality", and suffer a disutility cost if they are known to be
rejected as applicants. Firms choose their search strategies, and post a
salary. We analyse the unique Bayesian Nash equilibrium and find, among
other things: wages are lower under secret search, the expected ability
level of applicants decreases as the posted wage increases under open
search, organizations for which "ability" is more important prefer open
search, and organizations for which "match quality" is more important
prefer secret search.