[Econmaster2012] Research Seminar in Economics

Frank Stähler frank.staehler at uni-tuebingen.de
Tue Nov 26 16:33:41 CET 2013

Dear all,

The presenter in this week's "Research Seminar in Economics" on Tuesday,
26.11., is Daniel Baumgarten from the RWI Essen. The title of  his talk
will be

"Temporary agency work and the economic crisis 2008/09"  (Daniel
Baumgarten and Michael Kvasnicka)

http://www.wiwi.uni-tuebingen.de/forschung0/research-seminars/research-seminar-in-economics.html

The seminar starts at 18.00 h in Room E09, Mohlstr. 36. You can find an
abstract of the paper below.

Everybody is welcome.

Best wishes,
Udo Kreickemeier

Abstract:
In this paper, we investigate with German data how the use of temporary
agency work has helped establishments to manage the economic crisis in
2008/09. Exploiting for identification industry-level shock measures as
a proxy for the extent to which individual firms have been affected by
the crisis, we examine the business performance, regular workforce
development, and use of short-time work of establishments that make use
of temporary agency work to varying degrees. Overall, our results
suggest that users of temporary agency work coped better with the sharp
decline in demand and made less frequent use of government-sponsored
short-time work schemes.