[Econmaster2012] Seminar by Gerald Willmann on October 24

Frank Stähler frank.staehler at uni-tuebingen.de
Tue Oct 23 19:52:49 CEST 2012

Dear all,

we will have another presentation tomorrow by Gerald Willmann from the
Unversity of Bielefeld which may interest you. The title of his talk is

Global Shocks, costly adjustment, and political overshooting.

You find the abstract below. His seminar will take place in room # E04
from 6 to 7.30 pm.

Best wishes,
Frank Stähler

Abstract: We examine the influence of costly adjustment on democratic
political responses, and demonstrate the potential for political
overshooting, in which unanticipated exogenous shocks generate radical
policy reactions that gradually diminish over time. Our dynamic
political economy model features overlapping generations, heterogeneous
workers, endogenous investment decisions, and costly adjustment to
shocks. In an application to trade policy, we show that beginning from a
`political steady state' in which the median voter votes to maintain the
status quo, an exogenous economic shock - for instance, China's
accession to the WTO - can induce a dramatic increase in protectionism
that overshoots the new steady state level before converging to the new
policy regime. The magnitude of political overshooting increases both
with economic inequality and with the extent of frictions in workers'
abilities to adjust to changing economic conditions. In contrast,
political inequality - democratic disenfranchisement of
lower-skill/lower-wage workers - reduces the potential for populist
pressure that leads to political overshooting. Dramatic political swings
may be a signal, then, of both economic inequality and healthy democracy.

--

Frank Stähler
Professor of Economics
frank.staehler at uni-tuebingen.de