[Digital Literary Annotation Newslist] Digital Literary Annotation - Newsletter 10

Annotating-literature annotating-literature at es.uni-tuebingen.de
Mon Jul 24 01:08:13 CEST 2017

DIGITAL LITERARY ANNOTATION NEWSLETTER NO. 10 (JULY 2017)

TEASYS – NEWS

Next semester, PD Angelika Zirker will teach a SEMINAR on annotating
metaphysical poetry at the Humboldt-Universität Berlin.

One of our graduate students is currently working on her MASTER
THESIS, which is titled /Digital Explanatory Annotations for Literary
Texts: //Possibilities – Practices – Problems – Prospects/. The thesis
discusses how several of the problems associated with print
annotations can be solved in the digital medium. Furthermore, it
reviews ten annotated online editions in order to identify current
practices and emerging patterns in this field. One chapter is
concerned with the Tübingen /Annotating Literature /project and
discusses the Tübingen Explanatory Annotations System[1]. A user
survey tested students’ attitudes towards annotations in general and
digital annotations in particular; it also collected feedback on our
newly designed text viewer. Additionally, the thesis addresses
problems that have not yet been solved, e.g. the issue of persistence
or the question how annotating projects can encourage users to
contribute and still guarantee the reliability of their annotations.

-------------------------

The Annotated Web Edition Directory is looking forward to your
suggestions. We are always on the look-out for new entries to add to
the list. Feel free to recommend literary digital editions that
include explanatory annotation (of the social or the editorial kind),
web platforms, tools and applications that enable the user to
(collaboratively) annotate texts. Please use the corresponding form on
our webpage[2]. We thank you for your help.

-------------------------

RECENT PUBLICATIONS
Check out the current issue of Digital Humanities Quarterly[3] 11.1

-------------------------

CONFERENCES AND WORKSHOPS

Proposals for the Digital Humanities Austria Conference[4] (4-6
December 2017) are due AUGUST 15.

Registration for the Edirom Summer School[5] (Paderborn, Germany,
18-22 September 2017) will be opened at the END OF JULY.

Papers, panels and posters for the 8th International Conference of
Digital Archives and Digital Humanities[6]  are due JULY 31  (National
Chengchi University, Taipei City, Taiwan, 29th November - 1st December
2017).

Proposals for the Chicago Colloquium on Digital Humanities & Computer
Science [7] are due AUGUST 1  (Illinois Institute of Technology,
Chicago, IL, 17-19 November)

-------------------------

MISCELLANY
On the website the Annotator[8], the free open-source JavaScript
annotation tool is introduced. The website also provides a list of
associated websites[9] that offer different alternatives and ideas for
annotators and annotation projects.

The Schoeneberg Institute for Manuscript Studies[10] offers a similar
tool that supports scholarly research of manuscripts, images and other
digitalised documents.

-------------------------

Links:
------