[Ieee_vis_open_positions] [Funded PhD Position] ViSual ANalytics for Event-based Diffusion on Networks @ TU Wien f/m/d (30-40h)

Arleo, Alessio alessio.arleo at tuwien.ac.at
Fri Nov 17 09:28:05 CET 2023

** FUNDED PHD POSITION AT TU VIENNA **

We are hiring a talented PhD candidate in an international project on the visual analytics of complex diffusion processes over temporal networks. You will work in the context of SANE, a project held by TU Vienna (Austria), the University of Cologne (Germany) and the University of Newcastle (United Kingdom). This project arrangement gives you unique career opportunities, including student exchanges abroad, regular meetings with researchers from the other institutions participating to the project.

We are looking for a PhD candidate to work from the TU Wien, at the Institute of Visual Computing and Human-Centered Technology, in the Research Unit of Visual Analytics. We offer a position as project assistant (prae-doc) limited to 3 years for 30 hours/week (that can beex-tended to 40). Gross annual (monthly) salary of Euro 43,650 (2,464.80) according to FWF regulations.

In this position, you will begin your doctoral journey studying problems related to the topic of event-based network visualization. In Event-based (also known as “temporal”) networks, In Event-based (also known as “temporal”) networks, the time coordinates where the nodes and the edges are “active” are an explicit element of the representation, differently from traditional timeslicing where a time structure is imposed over the input data. You will apply these concepts to the problem of Information Diffusion. Information Diffusion studies how “information” flows and spreads through an underlying network, and has been used to model, simulate, and predict natural and human-made phenomena in countless different domains (e.g., pathogen spread, malware outbreak in computer networks, viral marketing, etc.). However, little research has been done on this problem within the context of visualization.

Wanna know more? Check the project description and complete job posting at https://www.cvast.tuwien.ac.at/projects/sane

Deadline for applications: 8 December 2023

Expected start: January 2024

Questions? You can reach me at Alessio.arleo at tuwien.ac.at<mailto:Alessio.arleo at tuwien.ac.at>

Alessio Arleo, Ph.D.

Vienna University of Technology (TU Wien)

Faculty of Informatics

Institute of Visual Computing & Human-Centered Technology

Favoritenstrasse 9-11 /193-07

A-1040 Vienna, Austria, Europe

email: alessio.arleo at tuwien.ac.at<mailto:alessio.arleo at tuwien.ac.at>

url: https://alessioarleo.com