[Ieee_vis_open_positions] Faculty Positions in HCI at Virginia Tech

Chris North north at cs.vt.edu
Fri Nov 5 18:13:53 CET 2021

https://cs.vt.edu/faculty-search.html <https://cs.vt.edu/faculty-search.html>

Faculty Positions
Human-Computer Interaction
Department of Computer Science
Virginia Tech

The Department of Computer Science at Virginia Tech invites applications for tenure-track assistant professor positions in human-computer interaction and related areas.  Exceptional candidates at higher ranks will also be considered.

Strong candidates from any area related to human-computer interaction, user experience, or interactive computing are encouraged to apply. We especially encourage applicants with interests in novel interactive experiences and technologies—including immersive environments (virtual reality and augmented reality), multi-sensory displays, multi-modal input, visualization, Internet of Things, human-robot interaction, human-AI collaboration, and creative technologies.  The successful candidate will have opportunities for collaboration in the interdisciplinary Center for Human-Computer Interaction <http://hci.vt.edu/> that includes more than 50 faculty across campus, the Institute for Creativity, Arts, and Technology <https://icat.vt.edu/>, and the Sanghani Center for Artificial Intelligence & Data Analytics <https://sanghani.cs.vt.edu/>.

The Department of Computer Science is in a period of rapid growth and expanding opportunity. We are seeking candidates motivated to contribute to a collegial, interdisciplinary community with a strong tradition of both fundamental and applied research. We embrace Virginia Tech’s motto, Ut Prosim (“That I May Serve”): we are committed to research, education, service, and inclusivity that makes a positive difference in the lives of people, communities, and the world.

The department currently has 67 faculty members, including 56 tenured or tenure-track faculty, 17 early career awardees, and numerous recipients of faculty awards from IBM, Intel, AMD, Microsoft, Google, Facebook, and others. The department is home to over 1,400 undergraduate majors and over 600 graduate students and is located in the College of Engineering, whose undergraduate program ranks 13th and graduate program ranks 31st among all U.S. engineering schools (USN&WR). The Mission of the College of Engineering is to educate and inspire our students to be critical thinkers, innovators and leaders.  Our core values are inclusiveness, excellence, integrity, perseverance and stewardship.

Virginia Tech's main campus is located in Blacksburg, VA, in an area consistently ranked among the country's best places to live. Our program in the Washington, D.C., area is also expanding rapidly, with Virginia Tech's exciting new Innovation Campus <https://vt.edu/innovationcampus/index.html> in Alexandria, VA, slated to open in 2024.  Candidates for faculty positions at the Innovation Campus are encouraged to apply to separate announcements for those opportunities.

The successful candidate will have a doctoral degree in computer science or a related field at the time of appointment, a rank appropriate record of academic accomplishments and a proven ability to work collaboratively; a commitment to interdisciplinary research and instruction and a willingness to expand disciplinary boundaries to address complex technical and societal challenges. Tenured and tenure-track faculty are expected to initiate and develop independent research that is internationally recognized for excellence, conscientiously mentor research-oriented graduate students, teach effectively at both graduate and undergraduate levels, and serve the university and their professional communities. The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check as well as documentation of COVID-19 vaccination or receive approval from the university for a vaccination exemption due to a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief. The positions require occasional travel to professional meetings.

Applicants must apply online at jobs.vt.edu <http://jobs.vt.edu/>: application materials include a cover letter; curriculum vitae; statements discussing teaching and research goals; a statement on contributions to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion; and contact information for at least three references. Review of applications will commence on November 20, 2021 and continue until the position is filled. Questions regarding the position should be directed to Dr. Doug A. Bowman at dbowman at vt.edu <mailto:dbowman at vt.edu>.

The department fully embraces Virginia Tech’s commitment to increase faculty, staff, and student diversity; to ensure a welcoming, affirming, safe, and accessible campus climate; to advance our research, teaching, and service mission through inclusive excellence; and to promote sustainable transformation through institutionalized structures. Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law. If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Joan Watson at jmwatson at vt.edu <mailto:jmwatson at vt.edu> during regular business hours.