[Ieee_vis_open_positions] We are growing! Positions at the University of Oklahoma Data Institute for Societal Challenges (DISC)

Ebert, David ebert at ou.edu
Fri Jul 2 15:31:15 CEST 2021

Positions at the Data Institute for Societal Challenges (DISC)
We are the University of Oklahoma Data Science Institute for Societal Challenges (DISC Center).  The DISC Center is a new campus-wide institute in the Vice President for Research and Partnerships office. Our mission is to empower transdisciplinary research and collaboration to drive convergent solutions to societal challenges in Oklahoma, the nation, and the world through data science research, data-enabled tools, and capabilities.

DISC is unique in its focus on the broader impact of data science, interactive analytics, visual analytics, explainable AI, human-guided AI, and data-enabled technologies to solve pressing social issues in areas including as aerospace, defense, and global security; community and societal transformation; the future of health; digital humanities, as well as the environment, energy, and sustainability through transdisciplinary collaboration.

We are currently expanding and are looking for both a full-time research scientist and a Postdoctoral Researcher. We also welcome Ph.D. applications and do offer funding contingent upon acceptance. Please see below the summaries for more details. Please contact David Ebert (ebert at ou.edu<mailto:ebert at ou.edu>) with any questions.

Position Summaries

Research Associate:
As the Research Associate/Research Scientist for the Data Institute for Societal Challenges (DISC), this position will serve as one of the institute’s key researchers, analysts, and software developers. The team member will perform data analysis, data pre-processing, and research and develop prototype analytic, machine learning, and visual analytics tools. To learn more about this position, please click here.<https://apply.interfolio.com/88441>

Post Doctoral Researcher:
We invite applications for a postdoctoral researcher with Summer or Fall start dates in visual analytics, data science, machine learning, trustable AI, social media analytics, and big data analytics across a broad spectrum of application areas.

The successful candidate will perform duties including:

  *   Research in visual analytics in application domains including social media analysis, interactive and explainable AI, sustainable food-energy-water systems public safety, crisis management, functional soil mapping, precision agriculture, social justice, precision medicine, and public health.

  *   Research in Foundational Data Science with a specific focus on trustable and scientific AI

  *   Assist in drafting successful research grant proposals.
  *   Lead research activities within the group, including project management and stakeholder engagement.
  *   Assist in supervising graduate and undergraduate students.
  *   Interface with renowned academic research groups at and beyond OU.

To apply
Please send your CV and a one-page research statement to Dr. David Ebert (ebert at ou.edu<mailto:ebert at ou.edu>) and Dr. Audrey Reinert (areinert at ou.edu<mailto:areinert at ou.edu>). Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the positions are filled. For more information on this position, please see the attached document.

The University of Oklahoma is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.

Dr. David S. Ebert,  Gallogly Chair Professor of ECE and CS
Associate Vice President of Research and Partnerships
Director, Data Institute for Societal Challenges (DISC)
University of Oklahoma
5 Partners Place
201 Stephenson Pkwy, Ste 4600
Norman, OK 73019