[Ieee_vis_open_positions] Asst. Prof. position at CU Boulder - spatiotemporal focus

Morteza Karimzadeh Karimzadeh at colorado.edu
Wed Sep 11 02:43:53 CEST 2019

Dear Colleagues,

The Department of Geography at the University of Colorado Boulder invites applications for an Assistant Professor, tenure-track position, in Geographic Information Science (GIScience) with specific focus on environmental or social applications of Spatial Data Science, beginning in August 2020.

We seek candidates whose work advances the frontiers of spatiotemporal analytics and geographic data science in creative and novel ways to drive emerging questions involving change and dynamics, and in the interplay between human and environmental systems,  as related to natural hazards or climate, natural or human resources, public health, demography, urbanization, or other questions at the nexus of human-natural dimensions of environmental change. The successful candidate has a strong foundation in GIScience, current and emerging methods in statistics, data science, and/or machine learning, and can demonstrate a commitment to interdisciplinary research in and beyond the geographical sciences.

The Department of Geography sponsors a vital undergraduate certificate in GIS and Computational Science in collaboration with the Computer Science Department. The Department also plays a key role in Earth Lab, a synthesis center for Earth systems research that aims to accelerate data-driven discovery (https://www.colorado.edu/earthlab/), with a strong focus on leveraging remotely-sensed geospatial data.  Interest in spatiotemporal analysis, dynamic modeling, data science and computational GIScience is high across the College of Arts & Sciences and campus as a whole. The ideal candidate will be motivated to interact with colleagues across a broad array of disciplines.

As part of the normal three courses per year teaching expectation, the successful candidate will rotate regularly into three existing courses: Introductory GIScience, Basic Statistics and Advanced Quantitative Methods at least every other year. The candidate will teach an upper division elective in spatiotemporal analysis for undergraduate and graduate students.  The candidate will also regularly teach a graduate level seminar on a research topic of their choosing and congruent with student demand and department needs. There is also the potential to align teaching with an interdisciplinary professional certificate / degree in Earth Data Analytics blending data science and Earth systems knowledge, which is run through Earth Lab.

Who We Are

The Department of Geography brings a holistic perspective to the physical and human processes that shape the world around us, and we strive to understand how people interact with, are shaped by, and in turn help shape, our world. Our teaching and research span an exceptional array of disciplines and we excel at providing field-oriented, hands-on experience. We train our students - in a friendly, well-supported environment - to be top scientists as well as citizens of the broader world to which we're all connected.

What Your Responsibilities Will Be

Main duties include research, teaching, and service. The successful candidate will be expected to conduct an active program of research, including attempts to secure external funding, publication in refereed outlets, and presentation of research at domestic and international conferences.  In terms of key teaching responsibilities, the successful candidate will rotate regularly into three existing courses: Introductory GIScience, Basic Statistics and Advanced Quantitative Methods at least every other year. The candidate will teach an upper division elective in spatiotemporal analysis for undergraduate and graduate students.  The candidate will also regularly teach a graduate level seminar on a research topic of their choosing and congruent with student demand and department needs. Service to the university is also a component of the regular workload for all faculty.

What You Should Know

 This is a full-time, 100% FTE, academic-year position.

Benefits

The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits<https://www.cu.edu/cu-careers/perks/cu-boulder>, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder<http://www.colorado.edu/about>.

What We Require

All requirements for the Ph.D. in Geography or a cognate discipline, else in Computer Science or in Informatics with demonstrated relevance to spatial data and spatial analysis must be completed by August 2020.

What You Will Need

The successful candidate has a strong foundation in GIScience, current and emerging methods in statistics, data science, and/or machine learning, and can demonstrate a commitment to interdisciplinary research in and beyond the geographical sciences.

What We Would Like You To Have

The ideal candidate will be motivated to interact with colleagues across a broad array of disciplines.

Special Instructions

To apply, please submit the following materials:

  1.  Resume/CV
  2.  Cover Letter
  3.  Publications PDF (up to 3 relevant reprints of Publications)
  4.  Statement of Teaching Philosophy (inclusive of evidence of teaching effectiveness)
  5.  Statement of Research Philosophy
  6.  Syllabi
  7.  Teaching/Course Evaluations

During the application process you will need to enter contact information for three references and we will request letters of recommendation and additional materials, if needed, as the search progresses.

Review of applications will begin on 15 October 2019; applications will be accepted until the position is filled.

Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs.<https://jobs.colorado.edu/jobs/JobDetail/?jobId=20553>

Posting Contact Name: Barbara Buttenfield

Posting Contact Email: babs at colorado.edu<mailto:babs at colorado.edu>

The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and individuals with disabilities.

Morteza Karimzadeh, PhD
Assistant Professor
Department of Geography
University of Colorado Boulder