[Ieee_vis_open_positions] University of Massachusetts Lowell, Computer Science: Tenure Track Assistant Professor -- (2 Positions)

Dr. Haim Levkowitz haim at cs.uml.edu
Tue Dec 13 21:57:44 CET 2016

The University of Massachusetts Lowell Department of Computer Science
invites applications for two tenure-track faculty positions at the
assistant professor rank, to start in September 2017.

We are looking to hire outstanding candidates in the preferred areas of
cyber security and data science. Strong candidates in other areas will also
be considered. The Department of Computer Science has an excellent track
record of research accomplishment and external funding, with current strong
and growing areas including cyber security, data science, robotics, and web
programming. Candidates with the ability to strengthen these areas, and who
can also strengthen the overall interdisciplinary role Computer Science is
taking in all sciences and disciplines, will be given preference. Very
strong candidates in all other areas will also be considered.

Candidates will be expected to develop their own research program and
encouraged to contribute to the collaborative research of existing
departmental groups as well as to interdisciplinary endeavors across the
campus and beyond. Candidates will be expected to teach undergraduate and
graduate courses, including department core and specialty areas based on
the candidate's expertise.

The University of Massachusetts Lowell is a tier-1 public research
university with a national reputation in science, engineering, and
technology. It is committed to educating students for lifelong success in a
diverse world, and conducting research and outreach activities that sustain
the economic, environmental, and social health of the region. In February
of 2009, a campus-wide strategic planning initiative was launched to
re-position UMass Lowell as a world-class institution over the next decade.
A major component of that initiative is to ensure that diversity and
inclusion is in every aspect of our strategic plan. We seek a diverse
talented candidate pool to be part of our mission and achievements.

UMass Lowell is located about 25 miles northwest of Boston in the high-tech
corridor of Massachusetts. The Department of Computer Science currently has
15 tenured and tenure-track faculty members, 3 full-time lecturers, and a
few adjunct instructors serving close to 700 BS students, 120 MS students,
and over 60 PhD students. It also offers an MS in Information Technology
on-line program with over 100 students and a BS in Information Technology
on-line program with about 1,200 students. It offers bioinformatics options
at all levels, a robotics minor, a data science option, and a PhD in
computational mathematics. We have hired several tenure-track/tenured
faculty members in the past recent years, and expect this to continue.

The Computer Science faculty have received approximately $8M in the last
two years in external research funding from the NSF, DARPA, DOD, DOE-EM,
DHE, NIH, and from corporations. The Department has five NSF CAREER Award
recipients. More information about the Department can be found at
www.cs.uml.edu. Apply on-line through the University of Massachusetts
Lowell's website at http://jobs.uml.edu under "Faculty Positions".

Women and under-represented minorities are strongly encouraged to apply

The University of Massachusetts is committed to increasing diversity in its
faculty, staff, and student populations, as well as curriculum and support
programs, while promoting an inclusive environment. We seek candidates who
can contribute to that goal. We encourage you to apply and to identify your
strengths in this area.   Minimum Qualifications (Required): -By the time
of appointment, applicants must either have a PhD degree from a US
university, or have at least one year as a post-doctoral researcher at a US
university or US research lab

Review of applications will begin December 20, 2016 and continue until the
positions are filled. However, the positions may close when an adequate
number of qualified applications are received.

***Applications received by January 20, 2017 will receive full
consideration.   Quicklink for Posting:
jobs.uml.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=55220

For complete details see the position's posting
<http://jobs.uml.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=55220>.

--
--L'Haim
Haim Levkowitz, PhD