[Ieee_vis_open_positions] PhD opportunities at giCentre, City University London (deadline 26th May)

Aidan Slingsby a.slingsby at city.ac.uk
Tue May 10 14:44:47 CEST 2016

We have some fully-funded, 3-year, full-time PhD studentships available:
http://www.gicentre.net/news/2016/4/19/phd-studentships-at-gicentre

The giCentre is looking for excellent candidates with research interests
that match those of the giCentre. Broadly, this is research that relates
to developing and applying new techniques for visualizing data in a
variety of contexts: from 'big data' to personalised data presentation,
from visual analytics to visual story-telling, from cartography and GIS to
statistical graphics. This is a great opportunity to work spend three
years working in with the giCentre and Central London.

The doctoral studentship provides an annual tax-free bursary (£16,000 in
2015/16). Successful applicants will be expected to provide 3 hours per
week support for teaching in the School. Continuation of the studentship
after the first year is subject to confirmation of satisfactory progress.

The school will judge candidate on the basis of academic achievement and
potential to produce cutting edge-research.

The application deadline is 26th May 2016.

Please contact us if you're interested and would like to discuss your
ideas. Either email gicentre at city.ac.uk or contact one of the giCentre
staff directly. We will help you develop proposals that interest us, but
initial ideas should come from you in the the proposals need to come from
you to start with. Working with data visualisation and visual analytics,
topics of interest include applying these techniques to helping understand
uncertainty and data quality, data analysis (particularly involving
geographical data), high-dimensional data and evaluation. We have
expertise in these fields and across a range of application areas.

Full details about the studentships are available at:
http://www.city.ac.uk/city-graduate-school/fees-and-funding/university-doct
oral-studentships