[Ieee_vis_open_positions] Intern position at GE - HCI and Information Visualization

Javed, Waqas (GE Global Research) javed at ge.com
Wed Feb 18 22:49:30 CET 2015

The human systems interaction (HSI) lab at GE software center of excellence in San Ramon, CA is looking to hire an intern with specialization in HCI and information visualization.

ABOUT US
General Electric (GE) is committed to delivering intelligent systems for a variety of industries, and software is a key component to achieve this goal. We are looking for software talents who understand how to map future needs to innovate new technologies to deliver mission critical software systems. GE's global software headquarter, the new Software Center of Excellence (SWCOE) located in the San Ramon, CA, USA focus on the development of innovative software that connects users to the machines and systems that move their business and industries.
Our human systems interaction (HSI) lab under GE Global Research and SWCOE is committed to create user experience driven innovations and research that translate into state-of-the-art software design solutions for challenges across healthcare, aviation, energy, transportation, and financial domain. Through research excellence and compelling experiences, we will inspire and enable product teams to differentiate and disrupt by delivering insights, tools, prototypes and advances in the field of HCI.
Our year-run internship program in the HSI Lab is looking for graduate level students who will work for a minimum of 3 months with our scientists, designers, and engineers to help creating experiences across multiple GE software initiatives. You will work hands-on to design and develop the next generation user interfaces and application concepts that will further define GE’s brand. Potential intern will work in a dynamic, fast-paced global team.
Requirements

·       Must be currently enrolled in a Masters or PhD program with specialization in Human–Computer Interaction, Information Visualization and Visual Analytics.

·       Demonstrated experience and strong skills in – designing interactive visualization applications, and Front-end Prototyping.

·       Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required.
Desired Characteristics

·       Having an outstanding portfolio to demonstrate proficiency and prior project/product experience in user experience design for software, web, and/or mobile applications

·       Having experience in conducting user research, designing information architecture and interaction concepts as well as developing personas and wireframes.

·       Outstanding written and/or graphical communication skills.

·       Good interpersonal skills, initiative, high self-confidence and have goals for a career in industrial research.

·       Good presentation, speaking, organizational, and problem solving skills, thorough attention to detail, and the capability to meet deadlines

·       Ability to adapt to change and willingness to be flexible in a global team environment
To Apply
If interested, please send a copy of your most updated resume to Waqas Javed (javed at ge.com<mailto:javed at ge.com>).

Dr. Waqas Javed
HCI Researcher