[Ieee_vis_open_positions] Junior Researcher/PhD Position in InfoVis/Visual Analytics, St. Poelten, Austria (DL Dec. 16, 2013)

Aigner Wolfgang Wolfgang.Aigner at fhstp.ac.at
Mon Nov 11 10:38:58 CET 2013

We are seeking a highly motivated Junior Researcher (PhD candidate) in the field of Information Visualization and Visual Analytics to work in a basic research project funded by the Austrian Science Fund (FWF).

== RESPONSIBILITIES ==
The successful applicant will
* perform research in the fields of Information Visualization and Visual Analytics
* design new visualization and interaction methods and implement interactive prototypes
* write and review scientific publications
* participate in scientific and consulting projects
* work within a creative, highly motivated, and international team
* (to a smaller extent) participate in teaching and supervision of student projects and theses

== REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS/SKILLS ==
* University degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or an equivalent university-level degree that qualifies to enroll as a Ph.D. student
* Strong analytical skills and good skills in programming (preferably Java, JavaScript, C++, or similar)
* Knowledge or interest in one or more of the following: Visual Analytics, Information Visualization, Human-Computer Interaction, Computer Graphics, Data Mining
* Abilities to work as an independent and flexible researcher in interdisciplinary teams
* Good knowledge of English in speaking and writing

== DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS/SKILLS ==
* Knowledge or interest in one or more of the following: Linked data, Ontologies, Metadata, Statistics, Medical Informatics
* Basic proficiency in German or willingness to learn (for international applicants)

== DETAILS ==
* Application deadline: as soon as possible, but not later than December 16, 2013
* Start date: February 1, 2014 (negotiable)
* Duration: 3 years (1 year initial contract + 2 years extension)
* Working Hours: 30 hours/week
* Salary: following the guidelines of the Austrian Science Fund (http://www.fwf.ac.at/de/projects/personalkostensaetze.html), currently EUR 27,381.2 (yearly, before tax and social insurance)

== PROJECT AND WORK PLACE ==
The junior researcher will work as part of a team of researchers lead by Dr. Wolfgang Aigner (http://www.infovis-wiki.net/index.php?title=Aigner,_Wolfgang) and in close cooperation with Alexander Rind (http://www.ifs.tuwien.ac.at/~rind) who holds a postdoc position in the project. We will study how to take advantage of explicit expert knowledge in the Visual Analytics process to make analytical reasoning more effective and efficient. We plan to develop and evaluate knowledge specification methods as well as knowledge-assisted visualization and interaction methods for time-oriented data. Current approaches mostly rely on static, externally given knowledge and do not emphasize reuse and sharing of these specifications. In contrast to that, we aim to integrate specification methods directly with interactive Visual Analytics methods to allow intuitive and direct refinement of explicit knowledge by analysts. The visualization methods will make use of explicit knowledge by automatically adapting themselves and using abstractions of the input data. For development and evaluation we plan to adopt data and user tasks from an application scenario in medicine. We will cooperate with distinguished research partners in Austria, Germany, Israel, and the USA.

The work place is located at the campus of the St. Poelten University of Applied Sciences – a new, architecturally interesting, and well-lit environment, offering everything a researcher could possibly hope to find. St. Poelten University of Applied Sciences was founded in 1996 and currently has approx. 2,000 enrolled students. Study opportunities comprise degree programmes and continuing education courses in the fields of Health & Social Sciences, Business and Technology. The campus is located in the center of St Poelten, which is reachable by train from Vienna in approx. 30 minutes.

The PhD student will be encouraged to pursue his or her PhD studies at the Vienna University of Technology, a leading technical university in Austria. At St. Poelten University of Applied Sciences, the successful applicant will start as a junior researcher with development opportunities regarding to our career model.

== APPLICATION AND CONTACT ==
Please send your application (with the usual documents including a statement of interest (motivation letter), full CV, list of subjects taken at university plus grades, publications, etc.) by email with the subject “KAVA Job IVOP” to bewerbungen at fhstp.ac.at.

Fachhochschule St. Pölten GmbH
Abtl. Personal und  Recht
Matthias Corvinus-Straße 15
A-3100 St. Pölten

The St. Poelten University of Applied Sciences aims at increasing the proportion of women and therefore especially invites qualified women to apply. We encourage sending your application in electronic form. Applicants are not entitled to claim reimbursement of traveling expenses and/or other costs caused by the application procedures.

--
Dr. Wolfgang Aigner

St. Poelten University of Applied Sciences
Matthias Corvinus Strasse 15, 3100 St. Poelten, Austria
T: +43 (0) 2742 313 228 - 611
E: wolfgang.aigner at fhstp.ac.at
I: www.fhstp.ac.at
FN 146616m, LG St. Pölten, DVR 1028669F

VISUALIZATION OF TIME-ORIENTED DATA
   Wolfgang Aigner • Silvia Miksch • Heidrun Schumann • Christian Tominski
   Springer, 2011 • http://www.timeviz.net