[Ieee_vis_open_positions] Research Scientist - Center for Urban Science and Progress (CUSP)

Claudio T. Silva csilva at cs.utah.edu
Mon Mar 11 03:41:52 CET 2013

Research Scientist - Center for Urban Science and Progress (CUSP)

The NYU Center for Urban Science and Progress (CUSP) is a unique
public-private research center that uses New York City as its laboratory
and classroom to help cities around the world become more productive,
livable, equitable, and resilient. CUSP observes, analyzes, and models
cities to optimize outcomes, prototype new solutions, formalize new tools
and processes, and develop new expertise/experts. These activities will
make CUSP the world's leading authority in the emerging field of "Urban
Informatics." CUSP and its partners are working together with New York City
in pursuing R&D in a number of projects across many domains. Our work
includes close collaboration with NYC agencies.

The Center for Urban Science and Progress (CUSP) is seeking a Research
Scientist to work in our visualization and data analysis effort. Besides
pursuing research in these areas, including the design of algorithms and
software for understanding and interacting with large urban data, the
research scientist will be part of our operations team. He/she will work
other CUSP members and partners to tackle our most difficult analytics
problems with Big Data, and help deploy solutions to our partners.

The ideal candidate must have a PhD in Computer Science, expertise in
visualization and data analysis, and experience with large software
development. Other areas of desirable expertise include web-based,
portable, and large-display wall applications.

Minimum Qualifications: Earned doctorate with dissertation research in an
appropriate field (such as Computer Science, Information Science, or
Computer Engineering) is required.

Preferred Qualifications: Extensive research experience with a record of
publications in one or more related areas AND research experience in the
following areas is preferred:

- Information and/or Scientific Visualization,
- Urban Data,
- Big Data Management and Analysis,
- Visual Analytics.

Preferred Technical Skills:

- Strong computer science background
- Excellent skills in C++ and GPU programming (CUDA)
- Good knowledge of written and spoken English. The candidate would be
expected to lead innovative interdisciplinary research with CUSP domain
experts, and work with faculty, postdoc, and students.

Primary Job Duties:

- Plan, conceive, manage or conduct research and development for CUSP
customers and sponsors. This includes helping prepare research proposals.
- Create new understandings and capabilities; critical review; or similar
engineering research and development methods.
- Initiate, design, develop, execute, and evaluate new processes, products,
or systems through basic and applied research.

Applicants are invited to send their CV, research statement, and names of
at least three references to kc83 at nyu.edu with "Research Scientist" in the
subject line. Application review will start immediately and continue until
the position is filled.

The Center for Urban Science and Progress (CUSP) is an Equal
Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer committed to building a culturally
diverse educational environment. In keeping with this commitment, CUSP
strongly encourages applications from women, people with disabilities and
members of minority groups. Individuals with disabilities seeking
accommodations in the application process should contact the Office of
Equal Opportunity at equal.opportunity at nyu.edu.

--
Claudio T. Silva, PhD
Head of Disciplines and Professor