[Ieee_vis_open_positions] PhD position in 3D Visualization at VRVis, Vienna, Austria

Eduard Gröller groeller at cg.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Dec 18 17:42:30 CET 2013

Open PhD Position in Real-time Rendering and 3D-Visualization, Vienna,
Austria

The VRVis Research Center (www.vrvis.at) offers a PhD position in the
field of real-time rendering and visualization of geo-spatial simulation
data.

In the project Scenario Pool: Visual Analytics for Action Planning in
the Presence of Uncertainty (http://visdom.at/projects/scenariopool/),
funded by the Vienna Science and Technology Fund WWTF, we will
investigate visualization techniques to support decision making. Our
work is based on the simulation and analysis of alternative scenarios
using state-of-the-art techniques for flood simulation, traffic
simulation, or pedestrian simulation. The results have to be rendered in
a dedicated 3D-view conveying information about multiple time steps in
multiple scenarios. To accomplish this, we require an efficient
combination of realistic rendering with abstract techniques from
visualization.

The research will be incorporated into the Visdom (http://visdom.at)
framework, which is being jointly developed by the VRVis and our
partners at the TU Vienna and the ETH Zürich. Scientific supervision
will be done by Dr. Jürgen Waser, VRVis, in collaboration with Prof.
Eduard Gröller, Institute of Computer Graphics and Algorithms (ICGA), TU
Vienna. We provide a stimulating and enjoyable working environment in a
competitive, internationally oriented research institution.

We are looking for a highly motivated young scientist who is interested
in rendering and in contributing cutting-edge solutions to Visdom. The
minimum salary, as stated in the Collective Bargaining Agreement for
Employees of Companies in the Service Sector for Automated Data
Processing and Information Technology and according to the
classification scheme, is EUR 2,115.00 gross/month (14 times per year)
and can be modified according to the applicant´s qualification.

Applicants must have a master in computer science, mathematics, physics
or a similar field and should fulfill most of the following requirements:
- Expertise in C++, OpenGL and GLSL
- Good skills in software engineering
- Good knowledge of English in speaking and writing; German is
appreciated, but not required
- Motivation to contribute software components to the Visdom
visualization system

Your application should include:
- Curriculum vitae
- Publication list, including talks, master thesis, projects that are
online available, etc.
- A short personal statement, why you in fact apply for this position
- Code snippets of your previous work
- Letters of recommendation

If you are interested in the position, please apply via e-mail to Jürgen
Waser (jwaser at vrvis.at). Application deadline is February, 15th 2014.
Late applications will be considered until the position is filled.

Jürgen Waser, Eduard Gröller

Eduard Groeller                   mailto:groeller at cg.tuwien.ac.at
Vienna University of Technology   http://www.cg.tuwien.ac.at/
(DVR: 0005886)