[Ieee_vis_open_positions] PhD scholarship available at Swansea University, UK
R.Borgo at swansea.ac.uk
Wed Apr 3 15:35:56 CEST 2013
we are offering a new PhD position in visualization at Swansea University, Wales, UK ( see below for more information or refer to the official announcement at http://www.swansea.ac.uk/physics/postgraduate/phdopportunitiesandresearchtopics/visualisationoflatticegaugetheorydata/ ).
The application deadline is April 8, 2013.
Please kindly distribute this information to potentially interested candidates.
Thanks and best regards,
Dr. Rita Borgo
Computer Science Department
Visualisation of Lattice Gauge Theory data
1. Professor Simon Hands<mailto:S.J.Hands at swansea.ac.uk>, Department of Physics, Swansea University
2. Dr Rita Borgo<mailto:R.Borgo at swansea.ac.uk>, Department of Computer Science, Swansea University
Visualization of large data sets is one of the most interesting current problems in Computer Science. Monte Carlo computations performed in the context of Lattice Gauge Theory provide a unique opportunity to work on data sets with intricate correlations among variables that need to be exposed, one example being the size and shape distribution of extended topological excitations in QCD field configurations at non-zero temperature and density. This project will develop tools for visualization that will at once enhance physical insight into the complex and costly datasets used in Lattice QCD, and which can be easily exported to typical problems of manufacturing industry, where it is important to understand correlation of variables used in the production process in order to improve that process.
Informal enquiries can be directed to Professor Simon Hands - s.hands at swansea.ac.uk<mailto:s.hands at swansea.ac.uk> or Dr Rita Borgo - r.borgo at swansea.ac.uk<mailto:r.borgo at swansea.ac.uk>
The successful candidate will have or is about to receive a Masters degree or equivalent in Physics or Computer Science.
This project is funded through a Swansea University scholarship. The student will receive an annual stipend of £13,726 plus UK/EU fees (possible increase in 2nd/3rd year). Start date is 1 October 2013.
How to apply
Application closing date: 8 April 2013
To apply for this PhD project, please download the research scholarship application form<http://www.swansea.ac.uk/media/College%20scholarship%20application%20-%20Science%20pdf.pdf> and return it to the College of Science with the following:
* Academic References - all scholarship applications require two references to be submitted in support. Please ensure that your chosen referees are aware of the funding deadline, as we will be using these to help us evaluate your application. Please either include these with your scholarship application or ask your referees to send them directly to Sandra Kramcha.
* Academic Transcripts -academic transcripts must be submitted along with the scholarship application by the funding deadline. We will be using these to verify your academic qualifications.
* Applicants should use the 'Supplementary Personal Statement' section of the application form to explain why the nominated award they have chosen particularly appeals to them and how they would choose to develop it.
Please either post the documents to:
Mrs Sandra Kramcha
College of Science
Swansea SA2 8PP
or send them by email - s.kramcha at swansea.ac.uk<mailto:s.kramcha at swansea.ac.uk>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the ieee_vis_open_positions