[Ieee_vis_open_positions] PhD Position Available - Flood Simulation, VUT Vienna

Eduard Gröller groeller at cg.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Dec 5 17:13:40 CET 2012

Open PhD Position in Flood Simulation Vienna, Austria

The Centre for Water Resource Systems at the Vienna University of
Technology offers a PhD position in the field of real-time flood simulation.

In the scope of the Vienna Doctoral Programme on Water Resource Systems
(CWRS), we will investigate fast simulation techniques to support action
planning in flood management. The resulting simulation engine should
enable planners to test alternative response strategies in time-critical
situations. Our approach is to solve the St. Venant equations on a
system of multiple graphics cards using the CUDA programming language.
The research will be incorporated as a module into the Visdom
(http://visdom.at) software framework. Visdom combines simulation and
visualization into one tool to support decision making without the need
for special simulation expertise.

The PhD will be jointly supervised by Prof. Günter Blöschl, Institute of
Hydraulic Engineering and Water Resources Management, TU Vienna, and Dr.
Jürgen Waser, VRVis, Vienna. We provide a very stimulating and highly
enjoyable working environment in a competitive, internationally oriented
research institution.

We are looking for a highly motivated young scientist who is interested
in computational fluid dynamics and flood simulation. Salaries are
according to the rates of the Austrian Science foundation:
www.fwf.ac.at/de/projects/personalkostensaetze.html.

Applicants must have a master in physics, mechanical engineering,
mathematics or a similar field and should fulfill most of the following
requirements:
- Good understanding of the mathematical theory behind fluid dynamics
-  Practical knowledge of numerical schemes to solve partial
differential equations
-  Good skills in C++ and GPU programming (CUDA)
-  Good knowledge of English in speaking and writing; German is
appreciated, but not required
- Tenacity in problem solving and willingness to learn

Your application should include:
- Curriculum vitae
- Publication list, including talks, master thesis, projects that are
available online, etc.
- Code samples of your previous work
- Short motivation letter why you apply for this position
- Letters of recommendation

If you are interested in the position, please apply via e-mail to Jürgen
Waser (jwaser at vrvis.at). Application deadline is January, 31st 2013.
Late applications will be considered until the position is filled.

Eduard Groeller                   mailto:groeller at cg.tuwien.ac.at
Vienna University of Technology   http://www.cg.tuwien.ac.at/
(DVR: 0005886)