[Ieee_vis] for ieee_vis: call for papers on Visual influence and influential visualisation (VINCI 2020)

piero morseletto piero.morseletto at vu.nl
Thu Jul 30 08:47:01 CEST 2020

Dear ieee_vis

Following first the advice of Professor *Fabian Beck*, then, that of
*Andreas Schilling*,

I contact you *to ask if you can kindly post the call call for paper
(below) in the ieee_vis mailing list.*

I am chairing - with Lisette van Beek (in Cc) - a call for papers
entitled VISUAL INFLUENCE AND INFLUENTIAL VISUALIZATIONS
at the International Symposium on Visual Information Communication and
Interaction (VINCI), this year.

Visual influence and influential visualisation is a new and promising
theme, which should be very interesting to (potentially) everybody
receiving the mailing list. I hope you share this view and be so kind to
post the call. Please to not hesitate to contact me for details or
clarifications.

I look forward to hearing from you,
kind regards
Piero

*_call for papers - VISUAL INFLUENCE AND INFLUENTIAL VISUALIZATIONS
_*VINCI 2020 - International Symposium on Visual Information
Communication and Interaction
this year, both on line and in Eindhoven (The Netherlands), 8-10
December 2020
https://vinci-conf.org/workshop.html (workshop 5)

- *submission deadline: September 15th, 2020*
- length: short papers (4 pages limit) - early work and prototypes are
welcome
- submission guidelines: https://vinci-conf.org/submissions.html  (end
of the webpage)
- extra information for authors (see below)

_The call:
_A visualization can influence and be influential, defining influence as
the quality to change mindsets and behaviours without imposition.
Influence of/in visualizations helps to shape ideas, create opinions,
spread information or foster debates, often beyond the community of
viewers it is devised.

The most influential visualizations are recalled, mentioned, or imitated
over time; mostly, they generate new knowledge or inspire new
visualizations. Although we are all touched by influential
visualizations, the topic of influence is still little explored by
scholars of visual analysis/communication. For instance, defining,
quantifying, and measuring influence in visualizations need to be
verified. Equally, thorough investigations are required to define the
visual elements that characterize influence or understand how producing
more influential visualizations.
In this workshop we will discuss ideas, concepts, problems, and
challenges around important research questions that focus on influence
in visualization and visual communication.

_The relevant topics for this call/workshop are:
_Visual encoding
Visual elements (featuring/improving influence)
Measurements (of influence)
Visual system and perceptions (e.g. eye tracking)
Emotional response and reactions
Aesthetics of influential visualizations
Memorability
Visualization criticism
Visual communication and analysis
Close reading, active reading

Paper Chair: Piero Morseletto, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam; Lisette van
Beek, Utrecht University

_EXTRA INFORMATION FOR AUTHORS_

  * Each submitted paper is peer-reviewed by 3 reviewers selected by the
    program committee. If accepted, the papers have further check for
    readability and quality assurance. Accepted papers are published in
    the ACM Digital library, which is listed in DBLP and also appears in
    Google Scholar. The papers will be presented at the conference as a
    10 minutes talk. The  conference will be held both physically and
    virtually, then, the participants can attend and present online.
  * Moreover, authors of a number of selected full papers of high
    quality will be invited to prepare revised versions of their work
    for submission to a special issue of the Journal of Visual Computing
    for Ind