[Ieee_vis] Call-for-Participation / Eurographics and EuroVis 2020 / Virtual Norrköping

Alexander Bock alexander.bock at liu.se
Fri May 15 19:18:32 CEST 2020

Welcome to the joint virtual conferences, Eurographics & Eurovis 2020 (EGEV 2020)
Norrköping, Sweden, May 25-29, 2020

Dear colleagues, co-workers, and friends,
As you will all be aware, we are in the final steps towards the EuroGraphics and EuroVis conference 2020 (EGEV 2020), held in virtual Norrköping this year.  Due to the current outbreak of Covid-19, we needed to switch the conference from a physical concept into a virtual conference instead.  The organizing committee participated in other conferences that have “gone virtual” this season and we learned a lot from their experiences. The switch to a virtual conference means a number of changes for the presenters, chairs, and, the audience.  One of the biggest changes is that contrary to previous years, the conference will be entirely free for attendees.

You can find more information about the conference and a program here (https://egev2020.se).  All of the sessions of this event-packed week will be streamed on the EGEV2020 YouTube channel (http://youtube.egev2020.se) audience can follow along and ask questions to the presenters and interact with each other.

Another common hub for creating the “conference feeling” will this year be Discord, for which you can sign up for free and join here (https://discord.gg/nTQwrp4).  Discord is a widely used communications platform that supports multiple parallel discussion streams, both text and voice, and will allow the serendipitous “running into someone in the hallway” moments that add to every conference.  We strongly recommend you to sign into the Discord server and participate as much as possible throughout the week to try and avoid the experience of “just watching videos”.  For the Discord we recommend everyone to use their proper name however they see fit as a large portion of the interaction will be through this platform and seeing familiar names will make it easier to create these serendipitous encounters.

We, the conference organizers, have worked hard to create the facilities to enable a conference feeling for all attendees even in these difficult times, but we cannot create this feeling without all of your help and we believe that all of us together can make this years Eurographics and EuroVis conference a very enjoyable and interactive experience.

Conference Structure
As you can see from the program, the conference is still organized by sessions/tracks, with up to 8 parallel sessions.  Each session will be showing in a separate YouTube stream on the EGEV 2020 YouTube channel here (http://youtube.egev2020.se).  The session chair collects questions from the YouTube chat and the appropriate Discord channel during the presentation and will ask the question to the presenters at the end of the presentation.  To minimize internet dangers, all presentations will be streamed from a prerecorded video file, but the presenters will be online during their talks and answer questions on the stream in a Q&A session live after the presentation.
Social events are organized this year through a combination of Zoom and YouTube streaming.  Information about the individual events is available on the webpage.  We have had some great ideas that people will truly enjoy. Participants of Eurographics 2010 can surely think of a few things that might happen again.

TL;DR

  1.
Subscribe to the EGEV 2020 YouTube channel to see the session events and be notified when new ones will be added throughout the week http://youtube.egev2020.se
  2.
Create an account for Discord and register the EGEV 2020 Discord server here (https://discord.gg/nTQwrp4).  You can then access the server at http://discord.egev2020.se
  3.
Checkout the landing page at http://virtual.egev2020.se and choose the sessions that you are interested in and start interacting with other participants on the Discord server.
  4.
Watch the sessions on the YouTube channel and ask questions in the YouTube chat or in the session’s channel on the Discord server
  5.
Interact, interact, interact, interact

At http://virtual.egev2020.se you can find a landing page that will serve as the central hub for your conference experience with links.  This page will be constantly updated before and throughout the conference.

We have an entire week packed with interesting talks, eight keynote speakers, and many social events throughout the week to make this conference as engaging as it would have been if we had all interacted with each other in person.

Co-located Events
EGPGV - Eurographics Symposium on Parallel Graphics and Visualization

The Eurographics Symposium on Parallel Graphics and Visualization (EGPGV) aims to foster the exchange of experiences and knowledge on exploiting and defining new trends in parallel graphics and visualization. This area is of growing importance due to the rapidly increasing availability of multi-core CPUs, GPUs, and cluster systems. Computationally demanding and data-intensive applications in graphics and visualization are strongly affected by this trend and require novel, efficient parallel solutions.

https://www.egpgv.org/egpgv20/
Visual Forum

Visual Forum is an outstanding Swedish visualization conference for the industry as well as the public authorities—this year with the theme Digital twins.

https://visualforum.se<https://visualforum.se/>

MLVis - International Workshop on Machine Learning in Visualisation for Big Data 2020

The Workshop on Machine Learning in Visualisation for Big Data targeted toward machine learning methods in visualisation from both the machine learning and visualisation communities, addressing how the two technologies can be used together to provide greater insight to end users.

The fifth edition of this co-located event will be part-tutorial and part-workshop so as to increase the interaction between researchers.

https://www.tuni.fi/mlvis2020/

EuroVA - International Eurovis Workshop on Visual Analytics

EuroVA 2020 is the premier workshop to present and discuss fresh ideas on new methods and theories, novel applications, designs, and studies on the use of Visual Analytics methods and systems. The workshop will accept a wide range of contributions within the broad area of Visual Analytics, including novel techniques, systems, applications, evaluation studies and methods, and theoretical foundations, as well as fresh viewpoints on future challenges and critical reflections.

https://www.eurova.org/eurova-2020

EnvirVis - Visualization in Environmental Sciences Workshop

Research in environmental sciences has become more and more important as we are faced with increasing problems concerning climate change, water scarcity, pollution of the environment, or changes in biodiversity. The workshop on Visualization in Environmental Sciences (EnvirVis) invites contributions with a broad application area in environmental research from both visualization and environmental sciences. Our goal is to raise awareness to the importance of visualization for this domain and to establish a forum for interdisciplinary discussions.

https://www.informatik.uni-leipzig.de/bsv/envirvis2020/

VisGap

The VisGap Symposium aims to shed a light on the gap between research and practical applicability, examine the obstacles every researcher faces, and propose solutions to overcome this problem as a community.

VisGap’20 aims at gathering experts from all over the visualization community in order to advance the way our field works with software, sustains software, and values the effort our members put into developing said software.

https://visgap.gitlab.io/visgap20/

MolVA- Workshop on Molecular Graphics and Visual Analysis of Molecular Data

Molecular visualization and graphics is one of the oldest branches of scientific visualization, which has been developing for over 50 years. Due to the continuous advances in both computational biology and computer graphics techniques, molecular graphics and visualization are very active areas of research. Not only the ever-increasing dataset sizes yield a constant challenge for visual analysis, but also new technologies like advances in web-based graphics or augmented and virtual reality open new possibilities.

This half-day multidisciplinary workshop – which is held in conjunction with Eurovis for the third time and with Eurographics for the first time – brings together visualization and computer graphics researchers working with molecular data. Whereas molecular graphics is an established topic for many years, the hybrid-dimensional visual analysis of molecular structures is still a quite new research field with a lot of potential. We would like to encourage submissions especially using new technologies, such as immersive analytics or ML-related approaches.

We invite short papers as well as full papers. All papers will undergo a single-stage, double-blind peer review by an international program committee. Accepted papers will be published in the EG digital library.

https://tinyurl.com/molva

WICED - Workshop on Intelligent Cinematography and Editing

The intelligent analysis and computation of cinematic elements including placement of virtual cameras, transitions between shots and lighting, shows great promise to extend the communicative power of the film arts into the artificial environments of games and virtual worlds. When paired with emerging depth-sensing cameras and computer vision algorithms, intelligent cinematography algorithms increasingly find applications in real-world cinematography as well.

This workshop intends to bring together leading researchers from fields including 3D graphics, artificial intelligence, computer vision, visualization, interactive narrative, cognitive and perceptual psychology, computational linguistics, computational aesthetics, visual effects, augmented reality, virtual reality and others related to aspects of automatic camera control and film editing.

https://project.inria.fr/wiced2020/

Committee
Local Organizing Committee
General Chair, Anders Ynnerman, Linköping University
General Co-Chair, Matthew Cooper, Linköping University
Eurographics Chair, Jonas Unger, Linköping University
EuroVis Co-Chair, Ingrid Hotz, Linköping University
EuroVis Co-Chair, Patric Ljung, Linköping University
Administrative Coordinator, Eva Skärblom, Linköping University
Administrative Coordinator, Gun-Britt Löfgren, Linköping University
Virtual Technologies Coordinator, Alexander Bock, Linköping University & University of Utah
Communications Lead, Martin Falk, Linköping University
Publicity Coordinator, Aida Nordman, Linköping University
Co-located Events Coordinator, Jimmy Johansson, Linköping University
Social Events Coordinator, Katerina Vrotsou, Linköping University
Social Events Co-chair, Camilla Forsell, Linköping University
Student Volunteers Coordinator, Niklas Rönnberg, Linköping University
Sponsorship Coordinator, Anders Carlsson, Linköping University

Eurographics Program Chairs
Full Papers
Daniele Panozzo, New York University
Ulf Assarsson, Chalmers University of Technology

State-of-the-art reports
Rafal Mantiuk, University of Cambridge
Veronica Sundstedt, Blekinge Tekniska Högskola

Posters
Tobias Ritschel, University College London
Gabriel Eilertsen, Linköping University

Short papers
Alexander Wilkie, Charles University
Francesco Banterle, CNR-ISTI

Tutorials
Morten Fjeld, Chalmers University of Technology
Jeppe Frisvald, Denmark Technical University

Education papers
Mario Romero, Royal Institute of Technology
Beatriz Sousa Santos, Universidade de Aveiro

EG Doctoral Consortium
Michael Doggett, Lund University

Eurovis Program Chairs
Papers
Ivan Viola, King Abdullah University of Science and Technology
Michael Gleicher, University of Wisconsin
Tatiana Landesberger von Antburg, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology

STARs Chairs
Noeska Smit, University of Bergen
Steffen Oeltze-Jafra, University of Magdeburg
Bei Wang, University of Utah

Short Papers Chair
Andreas Kerren, Linnaeus University
Christoph Garth, University of Kaiserslautern
G. Elisabeta Marai, University of Illinois at Chicago

Posters Chairs
Jan Byška, Masaryk University Brno
Stefan Jänicke, University of Southern Denmark

Industrial sessions/exhibit
Anders Calsson, Visual Sweden
Matthew Cooper, Linköping University