[Ieee_vis] Final VIS restructuring committee recommendations & summary

Tamara Munzner tmm at cs.ubc.ca
Tue Oct 16 11:36:38 CEST 2018

Dear VIS community,

IEEE VIS, the premier conference in the field of visualization, is at a
crossroad: for many years it has been subdivided into the SciVis, InfoVis,
and Visual Analytics conferences. There is now considerable appetite to
consider alternative structures, such as a more unified conference, that
may better enhance vibrancy and growth. Our goals are to preserve
intellectual diversity while promoting organizational consistency. A
subcommittee (Hagen, Keim, Munzner, North, and Pfister) has been charged by
the VIS Executive Committee (VEC) to guide this decision-making process,
which started in 2016.

Two similar workshops were held in the summer of 2018, at Dagstuhl in
Wadern, Germany, and BIRS in Banff, Canada, as the cornerstones that
provided a broad cross-section of the community a voice into the set of
options under consideration. Invitees included the VEC, VIS Steering
Committees, selected members of recent and upcoming VIS Organizing
Committees, and many earlier-career researchers. The recommendations that
arose from these workshops will shape the future of our flagship venue and
thus the field of visualization for the coming decades.

The committee recommendations, an executive summary of the workshops, more
extensive summary slides, and the committee’s previous recommendations are
now online at:

http://ieeevis.org/governance/restructuring

We invite you to attend a public session at VIS 2018 in Berlin on
Wednesday, October 24, during the lunch break from 1-2:20 pm, entitled
‘Open discussion: Restructuring IEEE VIS for the Future’, in hall Conv 1
Sec C. (The Estrel will be set up with places nearby to quickly pick up a
to-go lunch from 12:40-1.) The goal of the session is to get broader
community input on the committee recommendations. We hope that you will
read them carefully and reflect on them before the event. The VEC will be
present at the session to gauge the community response before making final
decisions.

Sincerely,

Hans Hagen
Daniel Keim