[Ieee_vis] VISREG Workshop: Call for Papers

Schmidt Johanna Johanna.Schmidt at ait.ac.at
Thu Jul 5 21:46:32 CEST 2018

Dear colleagues,

we would like to point your attention to this year's workshop at VIS 2018 on "Visual Summarization and Report Generation". We are seeking for new approaches and techniques to generate meaningful summarizations that could potentially be used as static reports and describe ideas "Beyond Scatter-Plots and Bar-Charts".

The workshop is an opportunity to present current research and new findings related to data summarization and visualization for report generation. Submissions may contain detailed problem statements, work in progress, or visualization application that are already in use. More information can be found online (http://isgwww.cs.ovgu.de/visualisierung/visreg).

We encourage paper submissions addressing one of the following aspects:

- Data summarization: Visual summaries may be used as a starting point in common overview-first, details-on-demand, settings. Summarizing a dataset is a challenging task, due to the many aspects that need to be included in the visualization. We therefore encourage submissions dealing with the visual summarization of datasets.

- Report generation: Visual summaries may also be applied as a separate visualization technique to communicate findings to external people. In many cases, such visualizations will then be used in static reports. This poses new interesting challenges, for example, how to deal with limited space, and how to address the fact that interactions are not possible in reports. We therefore encourage submissions presenting new visualizations which for static visualizations to be used in reports.

- Visualization techniques for reports and summaries: Due to the static nature of reports, many visualization paradigms like interaction, or focus-and-context techniques cannot be employed. If reports are printed, it is very important how to choose colors or textures that are used in the visualization. Sometimes important parts need to be emphasized, without losing context information. Other question may address label design and label placement. We therefore encourage submissions addressing techniques related to the generation of static reports.

- Applications: We are also interested in visualization applications that are already in use, which are either used to create visual summaries, or are employed for report generation. Submissions of applications are not restricted to a certain domain.
  We therefore also welcome submissions describing current problem statements, or work in progress. Papers addressing applications should describe workflows that are currently in practice as detailed as possible.

The call for paper is also available online (http://isgwww.cs.ovgu.de/visualisierung/visreg/call_for_papers.html). The deadline for submissions is July 13th 2018.

We are looking forward to insightful presentations and discussions in Berlin!

Kind regards,
Johanna Schmidt & Gabriel Mistelbauer

JOHANNA SCHMIDT
Scientist
Dynamic Transportation Systems
Center for Mobility Systems

AIT Austrian Institute of Technology GmbH
Giefinggasse 2 | 1210 Vienna | Austria
T +43 50550-6646 | M +43 664 8251191 | F +43 50550-6439
johanna.schmidt at ait.ac.at<mailto:johanna.schmidt at ait.ac.at> | www.ait.ac.at<http://www.ait.ac.at/>

FN: 115980 i HG Wien | UID: ATU14703506
www.ait.ac.at/Email-Disclaimer<http://www.ait.ac.at/Email-Disclaimer>