[Ieee_vis] CFP: CHI 2018 Workshop on "Sensemaking in a Senseless World"

Paolo Buono paolo.buono at uniba.it
Thu Jan 11 11:02:37 CET 2018

--Apologies for cross-postings
*

CHI 2018 Workshop: "Sensemaking in a Senseless World" **- Call For
Participation *

We are seeking workshop papers on topics in the area of sensemaking for
a workshop to be held at CHI 2018 in Montreal, Canada.

Making sense of information is central to HCI as people look to
understand complex systems, domains and problems. Broadly, we take the
topic of sensemaking to mean understanding of how people collect and
organize information for analysis and synthesis, and the tools and
processes they follow when doing this.

Sensemaking, per se, is everywhere in the systems we build and in the
domains we study. Whenever people need to function well with data,
making sense of the information is often a central task.

We are interested in both individual and group sensemaking
practices—from how one person figures out a complex data set, up to
large, collaborative group sensemaking where teams of people assemble
and interpret large, complex, interlocking sets of data. Representative
tasks include: the practices of people who deal with sensemaking
hand-offs (e.g., in a medical setting) or in analytical areas (e.g.,
making sense of financial data for forensic purposes); data set
interpretation; understanding large collections of documents; etc.

In particular, what are the tools, techniques and best practices of
people who need to make sense of a large amount of complex information?
What issues of scale, complexity and coordination arise that are
particular to making sense of a complex world?

*Workshop date: *Saturday, April 21, 2018  (Montreal, Canada) at the CHI
conference (https://chi2018.acm.org/)

*Workshop Goals*
The workshop will include research in areas such as:

  * how do people make sense of complex sets of information? (behavior
    studies and tool use) • issues of representation creation, evolution
    and use over time
  * implicit and explicit aspects of sensemaking
  * group sensemaking: including different levels of social aggregation,
    from individual, to group, to large social contexts
  * both static and evolving problem environments
  * how sensemaking fits into other knowledge work (information
    gathering, decision making)
  * what is sensemaking today? (In particular, what other sensemaking
    schools of thought are there, and how can we mutually inform each
    others work?)

 From this meeting of the minds, the Sensemaking workshop has several
desired outcomes:

  * First, we will create working relationships between researchers
    whose work focuses on aspects of sensemaking. While we certainly
    hope to bring together those working within the HCI community, we
    would like to try to bring in some researchers from other
    disciplines as well, including Library & Information Science (LIS)
    and Organizational Theory and Psychology (e.g., cognitive/problem
    solving research).

  * Our second outcome is to enrich our understanding of sensemaking
    activities. This includes striving for a shared understanding of the
    different notions of sensemaking, laying out and structuring the
    space of varieties of sensemaking (e.g., different levels of social
    aggregation, static vs. dynamic contexts), articulating their
    commonalities and differences.

  * Our third goal is to draw from this is a greater understanding of
    design implications for improved sensemaking tools, systems and
    designs. There is a clearly emerging demand for tools for
    verifiability and trustability of facts shared on public media
    channels. For example, a new generation of tools is emerging to
    allow journalists to spot inaccurate or fake news by leveraging ML
    algorithms and visualizations. Can we take advantage of these tools
    in our everyday sensemaking tasks as well?

*Organizers*

  * Daniel Russell has been working in the area of sensemaking since the
    early 1990s. His publication of The cost structure of sensemaking in
    1993 led to a stream of research in this area. Now a Senior Research
    Scientist at Google, he primarily studies how people formulate
    information needs and satisfy them with online research tools and
    databases. He has run three earlier CHI workshops on sensemaking,
    one of which led to a special edition publication of the journal
    Computer-Human Interaction.

  * Gregorio Covertino is a Sr. UX Manager and UX Researcher at
    Cloudera. He has been working on collaborative visualizations for
    sensemaking since 2003 with his PhD work on multi-role emergency
    management teams. In addition, he has worked on bias and
    visualizations for intelligence analysis teams at Xerox PARC. At
    Informatica and Cloudera, his most recent research work has focused
    on self-service analytics tools for business users, big data tools
    for data scientists, and log analytics tools.
  * Niki Kittur is an Associate Professor and Cooper-Siegel Chair in the
    Human-Computer Interaction Institute at Carnegie Mellon University.
    His research explores a future that scales sensemaking beyond the
    limits of a single individual’s mind by: 1) distributing sensemaking
    among many people and machines; 2) enabling people to build on the
    sensemaking that others have already done; and 3) seamlessly
    integrating human and machine cognition to make sense of large
    information spaces. He is also a co-founder of DataSquid, a startup
    that supports sensemaking by bringing the power of intuitive touch
    and physics to data visualization.

  * Peter Pirolli has been a long-time contributor to the sensemaking
    literature, establishing his contributions to this area with the
    seminal book Information Foraging Theory (2007). His research
    involves a mix of cognitive science, artificial intelligence, and
    human-computer interaction, with applications in digital health,
    sensemaking, and information foraging.

  * Elizabeth Anne Watkins primarily studies news-producing
    organizations. News organizations combine the technical and
    complexity issues typical of bureaucratic systems with the creative,
    autonomous decision-making of journalists. As more industries face
    changing labor models, shifting to remote workers and building more
    of their computing needs on third-party platforms, journalists can
    serve as a critical early-warning population, a canary-
    in-the-coal-mine look at the management of cybersecurity in the
    future of work. For us, sensemaking provides a framework to study
    how journalists who work in these organizations “make sense” of
    cybersecurity. After analyzing interviews with a range of
    journalists with diverse priorities and obligations, and testing for
    an array of sensemaking frameworks, we found fragmented sensemaking
    to be pervasive. This is a hazardous condition for security in a
    networked organization, because such a framework correlates with
    misaligned and scattered behaviors.

*To submit a workshop paper: *

If you are interested in submitting or attending the workshop, you can
find more details on the workshop website:
http://sensemakingworkshop2018.com <https://sensemakingchi2018.com/>
For inquiries, please email: dmrussell+sensemaking2081 at gmail.com
<mailto:dmrussell%2Bsensemaking2081 at gmail.com>

*Deadlines: * The deadline for submitted workshop papers is March 2,
2018.  Notification of acceptance will be March 30, 2018.

--
Paolo Buono
http://ivu.di.uniba.it/people/buono.htm