[Ieee_vis] CFP: Data Visualization on Mobile Devices -- Workshop @ CHI 2018

Bongshin Lee bongshin at microsoft.com
Wed Jan 3 22:00:13 CET 2018

***** CALL FOR PAPERS *****

CHI 2018 Workshop on Data Visualization on Mobile Devices

Date and Location: April 21, 2018 | Montréal, Canada
Website: http://mobilevis.github.io

With an increasing use of mobile devices in everyday life, it is important to understand how to design data visualizations for small displays. A nuanced understanding is especially important since existing guidelines for visualization and data interaction design do not transfer well to mobile devices. This one-day workshop aims to bring together researchers, designers, and practitioners from relevant application and research fields, including visualization, personal informatics, and data journalism to share experiences, identify open problems, and explore the future of mobile visualization. We will share academic and application-related outputs, and conduct hands-on design & brainstorming activities.

=== IMPORTANT DATES ===
* February 2, 2018: Workshop papers deadline
* February 22, 2018: Workshop papers notification
* March 22: Workshop papers camera-ready deadline
* April 21, 2018: Workshop

=== TOPICS ===

Submissions should cover contributions on visualizing data on various mobile devices (e.g., tablets, smart phones/watches, wearable devices, and tiny screens) addressing the following topics:

* Visual encodings
* Personal data visualization
* Glanceable visualization
* Responsive visualization
* Data-driven storytelling
* Natural and multi-modal interaction
* Visualization tasks
* Visualization authoring
* Libraries and toolkits
* Evaluation methods
* Best practices and pitfalls in the design process

We hope to develop each of these topics further through the solicitation of the workshop papers and via workshop activities including paper presentations, discussions, and a consolidation of best practices.

=== SUBMISSIONS ===

We solicit 4--6 page (excluding references) workshop papers using the CHI Extended Abstracts format (https://chi2018.acm.org/chi-proceedings-format) in the following contribution types:

* Research papers describing existing mobile data visualizations or early concepts;
* Position papers discussing existing & future designs and processes;
* Demonstrations of prototypes and completed projects.

Please submit a paper to the EasyChair system (https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=mobilevis2018). We will select submissions based on a number of criteria, including originality or controversy of the paper, the complementary nature of the authors' research background, and the quality of the authors' previous work related to the workshop topic.

Once we have a list of accepted papers, we will share them through the workshop website. We will also ask workshop participants to upload workshop-related information such as a brief bio and profile picture, their goals and interests, and an image representative of their work.

At least one author of each accepted paper must attend the workshop and all workshop participants must register not only for the workshop but also for at least one day of the 2018 ACM CHI conference (https://chi2018.acm.org).

=== ORGANIZERS ===

Bongshin Lee, Microsoft Research
Matthew Brehmer, Microsoft Research
Petra Isenberg, Inria
Eun Kyoung Choe, University of Maryland
Ricardo Langner, Technische Universität Dresden
Raimund Dachselt, Technische Universität Dresden

email: mobilevisualization at gmail.com