[Ieee_vis] Call for Participation: Eurographics Symposium on Expressive Graohics, colocated with SIGGRAPH 2017

Lyn Bartram lyn at sfu.ca
Mon Mar 6 20:51:03 CET 2017

Expressive fuses three symposia centered on expressive aspects of computer graphics: computational aesthetics, sketch-based interfaces and models, and non-photorealistic animation and rendering. Co-located with SIGGRAPH 2017 in LA, USA, from July 29-31, the Expressive symposium invites submissions in the following categories: papers, posters, demos and art pieces.

Computational Aesthetics (CAe) integrates the bridging aspects of computer science, philosophy, psychology, and the fine, applied & performing arts. CAe investigates both tools to enhance the expressiveness of fine and applied arts, as well as theoretical approaches that further our understanding of aesthetic evaluation, perception and meaning.

Non-Photorealistic Animation and Rendering (NPAR) investigates computational techniques for visual communication. Such techniques usually focuses on imagery and motion which is expressive, rather than photorealistic, although they may incorporate realistic elements.

Sketch-Based Interfaces and Modeling (SBIM) focuses on the exploration of models, algorithms, and technologies for efficient sketch-based interfaces. It investigates the classification and recognition of hand-drawn shapes, and ways of using these techniques for creating or editing digital models, text, mathematics or 3D shapes.

The call for participation can be found at : https://expressivesymposium.com/.

Paper Submissions

Each paper submission should be designated by the authors as belonging to at least one of the three tracks. Paper submissions are invited across the broad range of areas covered by Expressive. We welcome papers in several categories:

    * Research : new algorithms, scientific studies, analysis, or data (i.e., traditional academic papers). These must contain novel results that make a substantive contribution to the field.
    * Production : candid discussion of the process of creating a work (e.g., film, image, game) or art tool (e.g., paint or CAD program, software library). We are equally interested in papers on the use of existing techniques combined in novel ways, or applying them in a new or unusual context.
    * Meta : statements about research that do not contain new results, e.g.: grand challenges, position papers, evaluation standards, surveys, and primers on art / aesthetics / psychophysics for a computer science audience. We welcome papers that discuss the challenges of bridging computational expression across disciplines.
All work must be previously unpublished. Production and Meta papers need not contain original research or results, but must make a substantive contribution to the knowledge in the field. Papers should be 8–10 pages in length (excluding citations). Papers longer than 10 pages must make a very significant contribution.

Paper submission is electronic using the EasyChair system.

For detailed instructions to submit papers, posters, videos and other materials, please view the submission instructions.

General Chairs:
Bruce Gooch, Texas A&M University, USA
Yotam Gingold, George Mason University, USA

Paper chairs:
Holger Winnemoeller, Adobe Systems, Inc., USA
Lyn Bartram, Simon Fraser University, Canada

Art chair:
Ergun Akleman, Texas A&M University, USA
Lyn Bartram
Associate Professor/Graduate Program Chair
[ http://www.siat.sfu.ca/ | School of Interactive Arts and Technology ]
[ http://www.sfu.ca/ | Simon Fraser University ]
CANADA
v 778 782 7439/8009 f 778 782 9422 m 604 908 9954
lyn at sfu.ca
I'd like to change the world but they won't give me the source code. -- anon.