[Ieee_vis] CFP: IEEE VIS Workshop on Temporal and Sequential Event Analysis (Deadline Aug 22)

Gotz, David H gotz at unc.edu
Wed Jun 15 18:36:50 CEST 2016

CALL FOR PAPERS, POSTERS, AND DEMONSTRATIONS:

The Event Event: IEEE VIS Workshop on Temporal and Sequential Event Analysis
(In conjunction with IEEE VIS 2016, Oct 23th or 24th, Baltimore, MD)
Website: http://eventevent.github.io

CALL FOR PAPERS:
—————-

As visualization researchers, our ongoing challenge is often to leverage the
voluminous data that is being captured to drive decision making and insights.
Common to such data are temporal events, data points with both a timestamp and
event type, so understanding patterns of temporal event sequences is an
important problem to many domains. For example, medical researchers may wish to
leverage the data captured by electronic health records to determine if certain
sequences of medical events correlate with positive outcomes. Similarly, city
government officials may wish to leverage the temporal data collected from
their transportation systems, call centers, and law enforcement agencies to
improve their cities’ services. Engineers might analyze temporal events from
system logs to manage large-scale distributed system performance. Consumer
services analysts might seek to understand social media and shopping patterns.

Recently, there has been an increasing amount of visualization research
focusing on temporal events.  Papers on this topic have appeared at IEEE VIS,
other visualization conferences, and at many domain-specific venues.

The main question behind the proposed workshop is: How can we unify and advance
the role of visualization in temporal event analysis?  The workshop will gather
visualization researchers together to discuss the interesting opportunities and
challenges visualization may face with temporal events. It aims to both gather
the existing literature on the subject and build a research agenda for future
research.

In order to encourage collaboration and comparison, we will distribute 1-2
sample datasets before the workshop. We will encourage, but not require,
presenters of papers and demos to show how their system performs on these
sample datasets; this will better allow us all to discuss the tradeoffs of
different designs.

TOPICS AND SCOPE:
——————

This workshop aims to increase awareness about this interesting opportunity for
visualization research, collect and compare examples of existing and ongoing
research in this area, and to create a preliminary temporal event analytics
research agenda for visualization researchers.  The workshop will allow
participants to showcase their existing research and ideas, and to learn and
reflect on the latest advances in visualization of temporal events.  Therefore,
work which addresses any of the following questions would be highly relevant:

▪ How can visualization help data scientists make sense of temporal events?
▪ How can end users be sure the visualizations are made of temporal-relevant
  features?
▪ How can visual analytics help researchers include their domain knowledge into
  the temporal event analysis process?
▪ How do we build benchmark datasets and ground truth to objectively compare
  different temporal event visualizations?
▪ What are good and suitable processes to ensure usefulness of event
  visualizations?
▪ How can we use visual analytics to “explain” patterns derived from frequent
  sequence data mining algorithms?
▪ How can visualization help sequence visualizers gain trust into their
  results?
▪ How can we compare and evaluate extant methods for temporal event analysis?
▪ What techniques are good for what situations (many different event types vs.
  few event types; many users vs. few users; long streams vs. short streams?)
▪ Can we gather some sample datasets to help compare and contrast existing
  techniques?

Research topics include, but are not limited to, the following:

▪ Visualization techniques for temporal event analysis,
▪ Real and synthetic data sets and benchmarks,
▪ Taxonomies of temporal event analysis tasks,
▪ Case studies, user Challenges, and user Stories of temporal event
  visualizations.
▪ Theory and algorithms for event analysis (e.g., data structures, models,
 taxonomies, etc.)

TYPES OF SUBMISSIONS, FORMAT GUIDELINES, AND SUBMISSION INSTRUCTIONS:
—————————————

SUBMISSION TYPES:
We solicit a wide range of submissions which fall within the scope outlined
above.  Authors are invited to submit to any of three tracks:

▪ Research papers (3-4 pages) should present new work or a novel synthesis of
already published research contributions.  Articles describing emerging
research or works-in-progress are welcome.  Submissions will be peer-reviewed
by the organizers and accepted manuscripts will be made available on the
workshop website.  Authors of accepted papers will have the opportunity to orally
present their work during the workshop.

▪ Position papers (1-2 pages) are short statements describing ideas to discuss
during the workshop. They will be peer-reviewed by the organizers, and accepted
papers will be made available on the workshop website.

▪ Poster or Interactive Demonstration abstracts (1-2 pages).  Submissions will
be peer-reviewed by the organizers, and accepted abstracts will be made
available on the workshop website.  Authors of accepted papers will have the
opportunity to showcase their work during a poster/demo session at the
workshop.

FORMAT:
All submissions, regardless of track, should follow the IEEE VIS format
guidelines as outlined on this website:
http://www.cs.sfu.ca/~vis/Tasks/camera_tvcg.html

SUBMISSION INSTRUCTIONS:
All submissions should be made via the electronic submission system:
https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=event2016

IMPORTANT DATES:
—————-

Deadline for submission:     August 22, 2016
Notification of acceptance:  September 8, 2016
Workshop date:               October 23th or 24th, 2016 (exact date to be determined)