[Ieee_vis] TopoInVis 2015 Call for Papers

Meghan Haley cfp at vgtc.org
Wed Nov 26 06:32:41 CET 2014

/// TopoInVis 2015 - Call for Papers
/// http://topoinvis.org/2015/

Topology-based methods are of increasing importance in the analysis and visualization of datasets from a wide variety of scientific domains such as biology, physics, engineering, and medicine. Current challenges of topology-based techniques include the extension of concepts to time-dependent data, the representation of large and complex datasets, the characterization of noise and uncertainty, the effective integration of numerical methods with robust combinatorial algorithms, etc.

In this forum we will bring together the most prominent and best recognized researchers in the field of topology-based data analysis and visualization for a joint discussion and scientific exchange of the latest results in the field.

At the workshop we will discuss topics, which include:

 * scalar/vector/tensor field topology
 * topology of point sets and cell complexes
 * multi-field topology
 * theoretical models
 * combinatorial methods and robustness
 * multi-scale representation models
 * higher-order topological methods
 * time-dependent methods
 * feature extraction
 * Lagrangian coherent structures
 * topology-based denoising
 * topological similarity and correlation
 * topology simplification
 * user interfaces and visualization
 * domain specific interpretation of topological constructs and results
 * efficiency of topological algorithms

The 2015 workshop in Annweiler, Germany follows the five successful workshops in 2005 (Budmerice, Slovakia), 2007 (Grimma, Germany), 2009 (Snowbird, USA), 2011 (Zurich, Switzerland), and 2013 (Davis, USA). It will be held in an open atmosphere of informal discussions, open exchange and personal interaction. We invite participation at the workshop through full papers including presentation, or through panels that discuss topics of interest to the community.

For TopoInVis 2015, we especially solicit work that discusses implementations of topological analysis and visualization techniques. Such implementations must be available under an open-source license. It is our intent to create at TopoInVis a platform to disseminate knowledge about such implementations throughout and beyond the community. Corresponding papers are expected to describe the strategies behind their novel implementation, discuss capabilities, limitations, and performance characteristics, and compare the presented implementation to similar works if those exist.

Paper submissions will be peer-reviewed by an international program committee before the workshop, and must be presented at the workshop. We are tentatively planning to publish all accepted papers in the Mathematics + Visualization series of Springer after a mandatory revision incorporating reviewer comments and discussions at the workshop.

Important Dates:

Dec. 19, 2014: *abstract submission* for papers
Jan. 14, 2015: *submission deadline* for papers and panel proposals
Feb. 20, 2015: notification of acceptance

Apr. 17, 2015 (tentative): revised papers due
Jun. 12, 2015 (tentative): secound round reviews due
Jun. 19, 2015 (tentative): final notification

Instructions on how to submit a paper or panel proposal can be found here: http://vis.uni-kl.de/topoinvis/author-instructions/

Program Chairs (alphabetic order):
  Hamish Carr, University of Leeds, UK
  Christoph Garth, University of Kaiserslautern, Germany
  Tino Weinkauf, Max Planck Institute for Informatics, Germany and KTH Stockholm, Sweden