[Ieee_vis] EPSRC funded EngD animation, games, VFX

Daniel Cox dcox at bournemouth.ac.uk
Mon Jun 11 17:16:24 CEST 2012

We would be grateful if you would forward this opportunity to your final-year undergraduate students and any Masters students in relevant subject areas (Computer Science, Maths in particular). Many thanks for your help!

Want to do research but tempted by industry? You can do both!

The Centre for Digital Entertainment<http://digital-entertainment.org/> is recruiting for the October 2012 intake of doctoral students. These places are fully-funded and we can offer one to every well-qualified applicant.

We offer a unique doctoral programme with one year spent in the University but then you move into one of our leading edge companies to complete your chosen research. Under joint academic and industrial supervision your research leads to and Engineering Doctorate or Professional Doctorate.

We have current students with Disney Research, Electronic Arts, The
National Trust, Aardman Animations, Double Negative Visual Effects and many others. They are a great bunch of students and you will really enjoy being part of the same group. In 2011we sent one group to ACM SIGGRAPH in Vancouver and another to the Eurographics conference. We have travel money for each student.

Current projects include offers with
Reflections (Ubisoft) in Next Gen Tools<http://digital-entertainment.org/current-opportunities/ubisoft-next-gen-tools/> and  Modular Vehicle Simulation<http://digital-entertainment.org/current-opportunities/ubisoft-modular-vehicle-simulation/>
and Plymouth Marine Laboratory in Novel Visualisation and Imaging<http://digital-entertainment.org/current-opportunities/plymouth-marine-laboratory-pml/>

The Centre will pay your university fees. We also pay you a yearly maintenance grant of £15,090 tax-free, typically with a further £3,000 when you are in the sponsoring company. This is higher than a standard PhD stipend.

This is the most exciting way to earn a doctorate so we are looking for really good students who can offer excellent academic performance and practical skills.

For more information on how to apply, the requirements and qualifications needed, please see www.digital-entertainment.org<http://www.digital-entertainment.org>.

If you have additional questions please contact cde at cs.bath.ac.uk<mailto:cde at cs.bath.ac.uk>

CDE is heavily funded by EPSRC and the Digital Economy programme. It is a collaboration between the University of Bath and Bournemouth University.

The National Centre in Computer Animation at  Bournemouth University has been awarded the Queen's Anniversary Prize for Higher and Further Education in 2011.

The University of Bath has been awarded the title of 'University of the Year 2011/12' by the Sunday Times.

Daniel Cox
Research Project Manager
The Centre for Digital Entertainment
The Media School