[Ieee_vis] CFP IEEEVR 2012 Workshop - Immersive Visualization Revisited

Gerwin de Haan g.dehaan at tudelft.nl
Fri Feb 3 17:28:20 CET 2012

Call for Papers:
----------------------
** Immersive Visualization Revisited – Challenges and Opportunities **

This first IEEE VR 2012 Half-day Workshop "Immersive Visualization
Revisited – Challenges and Opportunities" is organized to revamp
cross-community work in immersive visualization. Please submit your
work, and join the discussion in the afternoon of March 4th, just
before IEEE VR 2012, Orange County, CA, USA.
For more details, please see
http://graphics.tudelft.nl/vrvis2012
or
contact g.dehaan at tudelft.nl

** Important dates: **
Feb 10th, 2012 - Submission of short papers, position papers
Feb 21th, 2012 - Notification of acceptance
Afternoon, Mar 4, 2012 - Half-day Workshop on IEEE VR

 ** Abstract **
Immersive visualization, i.e. the use of VR display and interaction
technology for visual data exploration and analysis, has long been
deemed one of the killer applications of Virtual Reality technology.
However, VR research is nowadays mostly focused on training,
simulation, and psychological experiments. Inspiring cross-community
work on immersive visualization is largely going on behind the scenes,
only to be revealed by anecdotal evidence, e.g. in informal
discussions among colleagues. The major goal of this workshop is to
establish a forum for the presentation and discussion of contemporary
cross-community work in immersive visualization. We hope to revive the
contact between the nowadays largely separate communities of
visualization and Virtual Reality. Consequently, the workshop will be
structured into two parts:
- presentation of technical papers, position papers, and experience reports
- panel and break-out discussions with experts who have worked in both fields.

** Call for Research Papers, Position Papers & Participation **
In order to assess the state of the field and start a discussion about
future challenges, we encourage the submission of short papers (up to
6 pages, but typically 4-6 pages, IEEE Computer Society layout).
Successful submissions should integrate ideas from both, Virtual
Reality and visual data analysis, and clearly elaborate on how the VR
aspects helped solve the problem at hand. In addition to technical
papers, we encourage the submission of position papers (typically 2
pages) in order to help spark further discussions. Papers will be
peer-reviewed and authors of accepted papers are given the opportunity
to do a 10-15 min presentation at the workshop. For this first
workshop, the submitted papers will be bundled and put online. From
the final submissions and the panel discussions we will invite authors
to initiate formal publications that reflects our findings.
Furthermore, we plan to organize a similar workshop at the upcoming
IEEE Visweek Visualization conference.

** Workshop Organizers: **
Gerwin de Haan (Delft University of Technology, The Netherlands)
Bernd Hentschel (RWTH Aachen University, Germany)
Daniel Keefe (University of Minnesota, USA)
Oliver Kreylos (University of California Davis, USA)

Dr. ir. Gerwin de Haan
Assistant Professor Computer Graphics and Visualization

Web:    http://graphics.tudelft.nl/GerwinDeHaan
E-mail: g.dehaan |at| tudelft.nl

Computer Graphics and Visualization group, Department of Mediamatics,
Faculty of Electrical Engineering, Mathematics and Computer Science
Delft University of Technology, The Netherlands