[EvA] Simple (i think) Java program parameter optimisation

orlinskm orlinskm at cs.man.ac.uk
Sat Aug 13 02:49:31 CEST 2011

Good evening,

I'm trying to find which combination of 3 parameters in my Java program
give the best results. The program is a large simulation and parameters
given affect the end result greatly.

I understand that using Eva2 I could use the External Runtime Problem to
run my Java program. However what I do not understand is how to configure
Eva2 to optimise the inputs to tend towards a  higher output from the
External Runtime Problem. I've configured a script to give to the External
Runtime Problem which returns a number (between 0 and 1) which I want to
get as high as possible for the underlying simulation. However when I run
this, optimisations seem to be converging to lower results and not higher
so I’m a little confused.

Whilst further reading is essential for me I’d like some advice on how I
could start, how should I configure Eva2 to optimise my little scenario?
Any help you could give me would be great.

All the best,
Matthew Orlinski