[EvA] Failed compilation of EvA2 with icedtea6

Marcel Kronfeld marcel.kronfeld at uni-tuebingen.de
Fri Feb 12 14:47:40 CET 2010

Oliver Borm wrote:
> if I want to compile EvA2 with icedtea6 under gentoo linux I get the
> following errors (see below). Is there any possibility to fix this, or
> which additional dependency is required in order to get this working?
> Could you also distribute the build.xml file in the source package of
> further releases?
> compile:
>     [javac] Compiling 637 source files to /tmp/work/lib
>     [javac] /tmp/work/src/eva2/gui/Plot.java:42: warning:
> com.sun.image.codec.jpeg.JPEGCodec is Sun proprietary API and may be
> removed in a future
> release [...]

Hi there,

it seems icedtea does not include the JPEGCodec or Java beans
implementations used by EvA2. If using the Sun SDK, which is available
for Gentoo, I think, is not an option, this can not be easily solved.
The JPEG encoding is of course not vital (and can easily be replaced by
other implementations), but changing the GUI Bean usage is not as easy.
If you can make suggestions on alternative Bean implementations, please
let us know.
However, it should still be possible to use the EvA2 API for
optimization without the GUI, since the core optimization classes do not
depend on Java beans. So you should still be able to run the API example
from the short documentation, for instance.

Best wishes,
  Marcel Kronfeld

--
 Dipl.-Inform. Marcel Kronfeld
 Wilhelm-Schickard-Institute for Computer Science

 Phone: (+49/0)-7071-29-78987, Fax: (+49/0)-7071-29-5091
 EMail: marcel.kronfeld at uni-tuebingen.de