[EvA] Soem beginners questions on Eva

Alex Wood alexj at cs.york.ac.uk
Fri Apr 3 22:47:24 CEST 2009

Hi

I'm interested in using Eva in a test harness I'm developing.  But before I
do, could I check a few things with you to see if Eva will support my
requirements:

1) I need to implement an Island model (which I've never done before, so the
easier the better), I see there is a brief mention of it on the webpage, is
there some documentation/example to look at?

2) I need to run an external command, and then parse a text file output by
this command to evaluate my fitness.  At the moment I'm just using a
threadpool of runtime.exec()s to do this, will Eva support this (I suppose
there should be no reason why it shouldn't)? Or could I use Eva
client/server model and have the clients do each runtime.exec()s?

If these aren't possible, or this would be easier using another Java Genetic
Algorithm library, could you possibly suggest one also?  I am also looking
at ECJ and JGAP (and wishing GAUL was available for Java), if these help?

Thank you for any help and suggestions you can give.

Alex

------------------All Text Below This Line Is My Signature------------------

Alex Wood                                         Web Page:
http://www.cs.york.ac.uk/~alexj

RTS Group                                        E-Mail:
alexander.wood at cs.york.ac.uk

Room D111

The Sally Baldwin Buildings            Phone:  Internal 3241

University of York                                            External 01904
433241

York

YO10 5DD