[afgn] Senior Scientist/Group Leader position - Plant Bioinformatics

Alexandra Wormit awormit at bio1.rwth-aachen.de
Thu Oct 27 10:52:02 CEST 2016

The Institute of Bio- and Geosciences – Institute: Plant Science (IBG -
2) focusses on the dynamics of plant processes and their interaction
with dynamic changes in the environment. The IBG-2 has a leading role
both nationally and internationally in the quantitative and non-invasive
detection of structural and functional properties of plants.

Within the IBG-2 the bioinformatics group focuses on the establishment
of database resources for omics and phenotyping data, machine learning
and the analysis of high throughput data.
In order to further improve these resources we are looking to recruit a

*Senior Scientist/Group Leader - Plant Bioinformatics*

*Your Job:*

  * (co) leading a team and interaction with experimental plant scientists
  * improvement of plant functional annotations and databases
  * integration of omics, breeding and phenotyping high throughput data
    and embedding this into the German network for bioinformatics
  * application of machine learning and/or network approaches to the
    analysis of plant omics data
  * publications in international journals and travel to international
    conferences
  * acquisition of third party funded projects
  * co-supervision of PhD candidates and students
  * participation and Organization of workshop
  * communication to our partners in research and companies

*Your Profile:*

  * an university degree and doctorate in bioinformatics, computer
    science, biology/biochemistry or similar
  * experience in applied bioinformatics
  * experience with the analysis and integration of high throughput data
    such as NGS, metabolite profiling and phenomics data
  * proficiency in Java and SQL is strongly suggested, proficiency in R
    and Perl/Python are considered a plus
  * experience with administrating and building IT resources
  * good record in publishing data in scientific journals and writing of
    project reports
  * work experience abroad is of advantage and experience in an
    international and interdisciplinary teams incl. good English
    language skills
  * experience with acquisition and administration of third party funds
  * established contacts into the scientific community
  * good communication skills
  * leadership experience are desirable

*Our Offer:*

  * International, interdisciplinary working environment on an
    attractive research campus, ideally situated between the cities of
    Cologne, Düsseldorf, and Aachen
  * opportunity to work in interdisciplinary and international team
  * support of professional development by participation in specific
    training
  * programs and national and international conferences, as necessary
  * the duration of the appointment will be three years with the option
    for prolongation and/or a permanent contract
  * Full-time position with the option of slightly reduced
    <https://www.hrecruiting.de/data/t5ChjatkIfdwmACO/Info_Vollzeitnah_en.pdf>
    working hours
  * Salary and social benefits in conformity with the provisions of the
    Collective Agreement for the Civil Service (TVöD).

Forschungszentrum Jülich aims to employ more women in this area and
therefore particulary welcomes applications from women.
We also welcome applications from disabled persons.
We look forward to receiving your application, preferably online
<https://www.hrecruiting.de/obf2/bewerbermanagement.php?kunden_nr=t5ChjatkIfdwmACO&link_id=d4fwvGqfKn3W4VKe&obf_strukt_id=v8hZy8ocOFcOCTORFw&lang=en>
via our online recruitment system *until 17.11.2016*, quoting the
above-mentioned reference number.

*Contact Human Resource Development*
Anja Schurf
Tel.:+49 2461 61 9700