[afgn] Fwd: #PlantSciJobs and #PlantSciPhD hashtags

Luise H. Brand brand at mpipz.mpg.de
Fri Nov 11 13:24:31 CET 2016

Betreff: 	#PlantSciJobs and #PlantSciPhD hashtags
Datum: 	Fri, 4 Nov 2016 18:16:44 +0000
Von: 	Lisa Martin <lisa at GLOBALPLANTCOUNCIL.ORG>
Antwort an: 	Lisa Martin <lisa at GLOBALPLANTCOUNCIL.ORG>
An: 	ARABUK at JISCMAIL.AC.UK

*To all who use social media and/or who post job/PhD advertisements: *

The Global Plant Council has recently initiated the Twitter/Facebook hashtags #PlantSciJobs and
#PlantSciPhD - whenever we come across a new plant science-related job or PhD opportunity, we tweet
the URL and a short description, and add the respective hashtags to the post.

These hashtags are ‘clickable’ and ‘searchable’, so if someone is looking for a new job or PhD
position, all they have to do is click or search for it in Twitter or Facebook (or even Google), and
voila! A list of links to relevant jobs appears!

For those who use social media (and there are lots!), we think this makes it much easier for people
to find relevant jobs - often, the titles of ads on science job sites don’t reveal what kind of
postdoc or professor (etc) the recruiting institution is looking for, so you'd have to scour through
the full descriptions of lots of jobs in completely irrelevant fields.

A few plant science departments and organizations have adopted our hashtags (the Boyce Thompson
Institute and the Society for Experimental Biology are a few we’ve noticed) so the trend is growing,
which is great for job seekers! At the GPC (@GlobalPlantGPC), we share any jobs or opportunities we
are told about directly, or which we come across on various mailing lists, social media feeds and a
few other sources, but we couldn’t possibly share them all, so if you or your departments use social
media, we encourage you to use these hashtags!

Thanks and kind regards,

Lisa

(PS: Please also continue to use these mailing lists for your announcements - not everyone is a
Twitter convert! But I do encourage you, where possible, to include a URL to your job ad in your
message, as this makes it much easier to share online.)

Lisa Martin
Outreach & Communications Manager
Global Plant Council
Bow House